Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 15th February 2012, 04:52 PM
manchino Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Fedora / Linux Newbie problems with this yum thing :)

hi all, I'm trying to understand Fedora so go easy on me, I'm trying to change my mind around from a windows perpective and it's not easy , my question relates to yum, having read what it does I now understand it's used to update packages however it's just not working for me , this problem comes from me trying to get snort installed and working on my machine, yum is the first thing you are asked to use and it fails, then a friend of mine suggested editing the .repo file but I think there's something wrong with how yum is pulling any of these repo files, this is the message I get when trying to install the mcedit application (in order to addres the snort issue) The Internet is working fine ....so below is the message I get for any attempt to use yum install (and yes I'm logged in as root) what what I used to call administrator

yum install mc
Loaded plugins: langpacks, presto, refresh-packagekit
Adding en_US to language list
Error: Cannot retrieve repository metadata (repomd.xml) for repository: fedora. Please verify its path and try again
Old 15th February 2012, 05:16 PM
PiElle Offline

windows_7ie
Re: Fedora / Linux Newbie problems with this yum thing :)

http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/...anagement.html
Old 15th February 2012, 05:57 PM
nonamedotc Offline
Community Manager

linuxfirefox
Re: Fedora / Linux Newbie problems with this yum thing :)

Just do a quick search on the forum and you will find a lot of answers. To start with

Try yum clean all followed by yum update[COLOR="Silver"]

Alternatively, you can comment the line with mirrorlist in fedora.repo file in /etc/yum.repos.d/ and uncomment the baseurl and try using yum.

Last edited by nonamedotc; 15th February 2012 at 06:32 PM.

Tags
fedora, linux, newbie, problems, thing, yum