Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 22nd February 2012, 07:37 PM
pliss Offline

linuxchrome
Fedora 16 gnome desktop environment

Hi, I placed it on the computer gnome fedora 64 bit version. I can not unload the icons on the desktop because, although the right mouse button does not come up in the menu. Please do not link to solutions instead of write down in detail, step by step how to bring.Thanks
Old 22nd February 2012, 09:37 PM
Zombie8 Offline

linuxchrome
Re: Fedora 16 gnome desktop environment

Hi pliss,

I am assuming that you are asking "How can I put icons on my desktop?"

If so, I do not believe that you can anymore in the new gnome 3 desktop environment.

Instead the gnome 3 user interface rather you click on activities and have the user specify what they want in their "favorites bar (on the left side of the screen).

I could be wrong but from my experience with the gnome 3 desktop you no longer have the ability to place icons on your desktop.

-Zack
Old 22nd February 2012, 09:57 PM
sea Online
"Shells" (of a sub world)

linuxfirefox

It is incredible...
Registering the account and do your post, is less the hazzle that you would have needed to FIND a step-by-step instruction on this forum.
Why i know that?
Because i've written like 10 on them myself.
Do us all a favor, use the search function.
If you then not find anything usefull, post again, and tell us what you have tried, or not found.

PS: use they keywords: gnome desktop icons 15 16 gsettings
EDIT PS: Everyone who is not afraid to get known to the system one uses, finds the solution within 15mins, thats the time i had required to find it, when i just had joined linux.
EDIT2: There is no need for the gnome.tweak tool, is it?

Last edited by sea; 22nd February 2012 at 10:09 PM.
Old 22nd February 2012, 10:01 PM
nonamedotc Offline
Community Manager

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie8 View Post
Hi pliss,

I am assuming that you are asking "How can I put icons on my desktop?"

If so, I do not believe that you can anymore in the new gnome 3 desktop environment.

Instead the gnome 3 user interface rather you click on activities and have the user specify what they want in their "favorites bar (on the left side of the screen).

I could be wrong but from my experience with the gnome 3 desktop you no longer have the ability to place icons on your desktop.

-Zack
This is true in the native GNOME 3 environment. But there are lots of extensions available that enables the user to apply a rather wide range of customizations.

As sea has mentioned in the previous post, please search the forum - you will find a LOT of answers even to those questions that you might have later.

Cheers.
Old 23rd February 2012, 07:07 AM
pliss Offline

linuxchrome

I read some post this theme and i install gnome tweek tool. Now show the local menu with right clikk but i don't find the options to put icons on the destop if at all possible.Please help
Old 23rd February 2012, 07:31 AM
Wayne Offline

linuxubuntufirefox

A word of advice. Asking for detailed, step-by-step instructions in your first post to any Linux forum (Well, maybe not Ubuntu, they deal with the lowest common denominator over there) is not going to make you any friends. In fact, some of the more knowledgeable folks will ignore you completely. You are expected to do a little homework and post details of what you've tried and what does and does not work before asking for help.

That being said, the option to turn on desktop icons IS in gnome-tweak-tool. Look through it carefully. I don't use Gnome but I know it's there.
Old 23rd February 2012, 03:09 PM
nonamedotc Offline
Community Manager

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
That being said, the option to turn on desktop icons IS in gnome-tweak-tool.
Absolutely true!

OP: Take a look at the option "Desktop" on the gnome-tweak-tool. There will options like "Have File Manager handle desktop", etc. These are the options looking for. The tool generally does not break the gnome-shell too much without external "help". So, play around a little ....
Old 23rd February 2012, 03:54 PM
Wayne Offline

linuxubuntufirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonamedotc View Post
Absolutely true!

OP: Take a look at the option "Desktop" on the gnome-tweak-tool. There will options like "Have File Manager handle desktop", etc. These are the options looking for. The tool generally does not break the gnome-shell too much without external "help". So, play around a little ....
Thanks for refreshing my poor memory. I remembered playing around with Mint 12...

Tags
desktop, environment, fedora, gnome