Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 3rd March 2012, 05:35 PM
marvin_ita Offline

linuxfirefox
Boot process stops on virtual machine

I've upgraded a F16 virtual machine under VirtualBox to F17, now the boot process simply stops, but the VM is not stucked: If I issue a ctrl-alt-del it goes in runlevel 6 and reboots.

I'm able to boot in rescue mode. I suspect something network related is stopping the boot process: sendmail agent takes a full minute to start and just before the boot process stops I can see high activity on the virtual ethernet card. I tried to disable sendmail from rescue mode and to disable the virtual network card in Virtual Box, but nothing solves the problem.

Removing the quiet kernel parameter doesn't show anything more... any ideas?

Thank you

SOLVED: I never think at the most easy solution: after changing video driver from VBox specific to standard Vesa everything works. Strange I had the problem even booting in runlevel 3......

Last edited by marvin_ita; 3rd March 2012 at 05:56 PM.
Old 3rd March 2012, 06:34 PM
new123 Offline

linuxopera
Re: Boot process stops on virtual machine

How do you change the video drivers? Are you able to run the "real" Gnome 3 or just a fallback version of it?
Old 4th March 2012, 08:53 AM
marvin_ita Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: Boot process stops on virtual machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by new123 View Post
How do you change the video drivers? Are you able to run the "real" Gnome 3 or just a fallback version of it?
Actually, I use KDE. I've edited /etc/X11/xorg.conf and changed drivers from 'vboxdrv' (if I remember correctly) to 'vesa'. The problem with VirtualBox graphic drivers is that the xorg server version provided with F17 is still unsupported at the moment.

Tags
boot, machine, process, stops, virtual