Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 4th March 2012, 10:02 PM
ClientAlive Offline

linuxopera
Question How do you use the usb minimal install media?

I finally got some kind of usb intall media working - I think. I followed the steps outlined in section 3.3.1 of the fedora install guide. Those steps outline a process using dd to copy a file named efidisk.img to the usb drive. I was able to boot from that usb drive but am now looking at a "grub>" line - which is, I guess, not what I expected to see. What do I do from here? I'm not seeing anything explicit in the install manual about it.

Thanks in advance
Jake
-------------------

Section 3.3.1 in the install guide: http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/...oot_Media-UEFI
Old 4th March 2012, 10:28 PM
Fenrin Offline

linuxopera
Re: How do you use the usb minimal install media?

you can try this method (install git, if it's not installed on your linux):
Code:
git clone git://fedorahosted.org/livecd
sudo ./livecd/tools/livecd-iso-to-disk.sh --format --reset-mbr /home/YourUsername/Fedora-16*.iso /dev/sdX1
this method works almost always for me. I don't have a UEFI based system though, so I'm not sure if it works for you.
Of course it should be the correct path to your Fedora iso image and the correct device instead of sdX1.
Old 5th March 2012, 12:45 AM
ClientAlive Offline

linuxopera
Arrow Re: How do you use the usb minimal install media?

Thanks bro, but, from the git blob: http://git.fedorahosted.org/git/?p=h...sk.pod;hb=HEAD

it appears that passing "--reset-mbr" results in an image that will install an msdos partition table not gpt. I have to use gpt because my disks are all over 2 TB.

Trying to pass the "--efi" flag gets me an error message.

I need to come up with the installer efi booted to do and efi install somehow. Tried several methods but have run into a wall with each. i'm sure any one of them is possible and would lead to success, jsut the information in the install guide seems incomplete, contradictory, or leads you in circles with it's cross references.

If possible, I'd like to settle on one method and have some help making it work.

Thanks
-----------------

Edit:

I just came across a bug report that seems to describe what I'm dealing with. The only difference is how he created his media (using livecd-iso-to-disk) whereas I used dd as outlined in the install guide. There seems to be good information there but I'm not quite sure how to apply it myself. If I could I'm sure it would fix me right up.

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=772505

Last edited by ClientAlive; 5th March 2012 at 03:47 AM.
Old 11th June 2012, 12:03 PM
Montclaire Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: How do you use the usb minimal install media?

Has anyone managed to get around this problem?

I've been trying to install Fedora 17 64-bit on a UEFI machine with USB boot with no success. The reason is I can't boot the system with USB.

The instructions (Making minimal boot media) say to use efidisk.img file with dd. The problem is there is no such file on the dvd iso. I've checked Fedora 16 iso and the file exists. Not the case with Fedora 17 though. Might that be a problem :-)

I've thought the name might have changed because there is a efiboot.img so I tried it with that file but that didn't work either. Also both files are present on Fedora 16 dvd so that was probably a silly idea from the beginning :-).

Thanks for the help.

P.S. just registred, this is my first post. Great forum, I've been stalking you guys for a long time now :-), so I thought I might as well register.

Tags
efi, install, media, minimal, uefi, usb