Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 6th March 2012, 05:40 AM
chrismurphy Offline

macoschrome
Wake sleep problems

Macbook Pro 2008, pm-suspend works (machine sleeps, pulsing power light). It wakes when I push the power button once, and I can ssh in. But the display doesn't light up so I can't see anything on the display.

Any suggestions on how to go about troubleshooting this so I can actually file a bug report? For all I know it could even be EFI related since it is an EFI boot, not a CSM-BIOS boot.
Old 6th March 2012, 10:08 AM
stevea Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: Wake sleep problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismurphy View Post
OK that's useless. Spam?
You're pretty hard on yourself

There is no reason to suspect UEFI unless you fail to boot.

Historically (like ~2yrs ago) there was a spate of this problem on x86 laptops, where the computer would re-awaken but the backlight wouldn't come on. It had to do with specific vid drivers IIRC.

You're no noob - hunt the archives, use pm in debug mode, try fussing with the vid interface toggles in /sys
Old 6th March 2012, 10:15 AM
chrismurphy Offline

macoschrome

There was an earlier response that's since been deleted and it was utterly useless.

The problem with EFI boot is that nouveau locks up text console and will not load X. So it's a useless machine. Therefore I use nomodeset to prevent nouveau from loading. And since it's EFI, VESA isn't available, so I don't have nvidia specific drivers at all. It's EFIFB I think, or whatever EFI provides, not sure.
Old 6th March 2012, 10:17 AM
leigh123linux Online
Retired Administrator

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismurphy View Post
There was an earlier response that's since been deleted and it was utterly useless.

The problem with EFI boot is that nouveau locks up text console and will not load X. So it's a useless machine. Therefore I use nomodeset to prevent nouveau from loading. And since it's EFI, VESA isn't available, so I don't have nvidia specific drivers at all. It's EFIFB I think, or whatever EFI provides, not sure.

Use the report post feature next time

Tags
problems, sleep, wake