Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Fedora 19/20 > Using Fedora
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Using Fedora General support for current versions. Ask questions about Fedora and it's software that do not belong in any other forum.

Old 7th March 2012, 01:55 AM
jakebpg Offline

linuxfirefox
Grub2, dev modifications from satndard grub2 install

Where can I find out what the fedora devs have modified in grub2 from a default grub2 install that most all other Linux variants have not done to keep the full functionality of grub2?

Currently running F16 with the latest kernel and video drivers, which just DO NOT work correctly in KDE ( constant flickering), yes I have a Radeon HD chipset with 1 GB of Vram. in a Toshiba laptop. So I installed the ATI drivers which works fantastic(not fedoras radeon driver which worked like you know what). All of the video works like I'm on a windows machine including 3D, none of which worked with the default fedora driver.

Here's why I ask, after 2 days of research I found a way to fix Plymouth instead of having that ugly status bar provided as a fall back by fedora when it does NOT know what to do with OEM video drivers.

I know the devs love to hack things and they most certainly have hacked grub2 to meet their needs with no thoughts about what a user may have to do to get their system fully functional including the plymouth splash!

Here's the instructions I found:
So now that Statler installs plymouth by default, people using proprietary drivers will need to do a bit of editing to see the new splash (it is worth it in my opinion).
First find out what resolution your card supports, so reboot and press c when you get the GRUB menu and type vbeinfo to see your available choices.
Now log in and sudo gedit /etc/default/grub. Line 16 should be uncommented and edited with your preferred resolution. Here is mine for example:
GRUB_GFXMODE=1920x1200x32

Now sudo gedit /etc/grub.d/00_header, and under the line "set gfxmode=${GRUB_GFXMODE}", paste this:
set gfxpayload=keep

Then just sudo update-grub and reboot.

Wish I would have bookmarked the website with this info, but didn't think I needed to.

So what do I have to do to fix this? Can I get the un-hacked grub2 and use that or is there a way to fix it keeping fedora's hacked grub2?
Old 7th March 2012, 02:21 AM
PabloTwo Offline
"Registered User" T-Shirt Winner

linuxchrome
Re: Grub2, dev modifications from satndard grub2 install

Hacking at grub2 isn't going to do anything to get your Plymouth graphical mode back. You're confusing one issue with another. Look at post number #5 of this thread for a fix for your Plymouth display mode issue. At this point in time, it's not likely you'll need to do the "yum update..." with the updates-testing repo enabled though, as long as your current on your system updates now.
Old 7th March 2012, 03:03 AM
jakebpg Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by PabloTwo View Post
Hacking at grub2 isn't going to do anything to get your Plymouth graphical mode back. You're confusing one issue with another. Look at post number #5 of this thread for a fix for your Plymouth display mode issue. At this point in time, it's not likely you'll need to do the "yum update..." with the updates-testing repo enabled though, as long as your current on your system updates now.
Nope, didn't work. I've tried everything I can find and nothing works. That's why I believe it has to do with grub2 itself being hacked to the point of being legacy grub with minimal features added. Just reading through posts on this site shows that grub2 has been modified(hacked) by the devs since running grub2-mkconfig is NOT required after making changes like it is in almost all other flavors of Linux.

That's why I asked the question, of what is different or hacked in grub2 in fedora from most all other Linux flavors that require updating through either update-grub or grub2-mkconfig?
Old 7th March 2012, 05:50 AM
chrismurphy Offline

macoschrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakebpg View Post
So what do I have to do to fix this? Can I get the un-hacked grub2 and use that or is there a way to fix it keeping fedora's hacked grub2?
I think your assertions are totally emotional and speculative. Fedora GRUB2 is very close to upstream. Conversely GRUB Legacy is much more hacked since it's not maintained by upstream.

Current version of GRUB2 is 2.0 beta 1, it's pretty straightforward to download and compile from source. I've done it, and I'm pretty dumb. So if you really think Fedora's GRUB2 mods are the source of your problems (I think very unlikely, esp considering you haven't mentioned other variants of the same source version that do work) the unmolested source is available to build yourself.
Old 7th March 2012, 10:46 AM
jakebpg Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismurphy View Post
I think your assertions are totally emotional and speculative. Fedora GRUB2 is very close to upstream. Conversely GRUB Legacy is much more hacked since it's not maintained by upstream.

Current version of GRUB2 is 2.0 beta 1, it's pretty straightforward to download and compile from source. I've done it, and I'm pretty dumb. So if you really think Fedora's GRUB2 mods are the source of your problems (I think very unlikely, esp considering you haven't mentioned other variants of the same source version that do work) the unmolested source is available to build yourself.
Better read again, particularly at this link:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/Grub2

As stated the site:
Detailed Description

We currently use what is essentially a fork of GRUB 0.9x in Fedora for a variety of historical reasons. It would be nice to get back to the upstream developed version, even though it is in many ways an entirely new project.
Old 7th March 2012, 03:02 PM
DBelton Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Nope, didn't work. I've tried everything I can find and nothing works. That's why I believe it has to do with grub2 itself being hacked to the point of being legacy grub with minimal features added. Just reading through posts on this site shows that grub2 has been modified(hacked) by the devs since running grub2-mkconfig is NOT required after making changes like it is in almost all other flavors of Linux.

That's why I asked the question, of what is different or hacked in grub2 in fedora from most all other Linux flavors that require updating through either update-grub or grub2-mkconfig?
?? running grub2-mkconfig IS required, depending upon what you change.

If you decide to throw the "proper" way of doing things out the window and manually edit your /boot/grub2/grub.cfg file yourself, then it's not required, but doing things the proper way, it is required to run grub2-mkconfig.

(and some of the video mode changes in grub2 require that a grub2 font be generated first, and yes, GRUB_GFXMODE is one of those things that requires a grub2 font first)

Last edited by DBelton; 7th March 2012 at 03:09 PM.
Old 7th March 2012, 03:11 PM
PabloTwo Offline

linuxchrome

Running "grub2-mkconfig" by itself will accomplish nothing. The proper command is:

grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg

..which is required after doing any edits to /etc/default/grub or monkeying with any script files in /etc/grub.d/

If you do a manual edit to your /boot/grub2/grub.cfg file, and then run the 'grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg' command, your manual edit will be gone.
Old 7th March 2012, 03:31 PM
jakebpg Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBelton View Post
?? running grub2-mkconfig IS required, depending upon what you change.

If you decide to throw the "proper" way of doing things out the window and manually edit your /boot/grub2/grub.cfg file yourself, then it's not required, but doing things the proper way, it is required to run grub2-mkconfig.

(and some of the video mode changes in grub2 require that a grub2 font be generated first, and yes, GRUB_GFXMODE is one of those things that requires a grub2 font first)

Nowhere in the fedora documentation does it say grub2-mkconfig is required in fedora when changes are made to grub.cfg Now unless the fedora documentation is all wrong and numerous posters on this site are wrong then you are indeed wrong.
I know in ubuntu it is required but it is NOT required by fedora per their documentation. Also grub2 in fedora is NOT an upstream version per the link I posted previously!
Old 7th March 2012, 04:12 PM
DBelton Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox

Strange, the Fedora documentation I find does indeed tell you to run grub2-mkconfig.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Grub2

Quote:
Due to grub2-mkconfig (and os-prober) we cannot predict the order of the entries in /boot/grub2/grub.cfg, so we set the default by name/title instead. To do this, first, we set

GRUB_DEFAULT=saved

in /etc/default/grub, and run

to update grub.cfg.
and again:
Quote:
7. Issue the grub2-mkconfig command to re-create the grub.cfg file grub2 needed to boot your system

And per the link you posted, it NEVER stated that the grub2 in fedora is not the upstream version.

Quote:
We currently use what is essentially a fork of GRUB 0.9x in Fedora for a variety of historical reasons. It would be nice to get back to the upstream developed version, even though it is in many ways an entirely new project.

GRUB2 has reached version 1.99 (equivalent to r.c. 3). The upstream wiki can be found at http://grub.enbug.org/ (This was down for me so http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/.)
the 0.97 version referenced above is the LEGACY grub (not grub2) version, and it was patched and maintained by fedora since there was no development being done on it for quite awhile.
It also states that one of the reasons for moving to grub2 is to get back to the upstream version without the modifications.

I haven't seen anyplace in the link you specified that states that the grub2 in fedora isn't the upstream version.

(and even that link you provided above specifies that you run grub2-mkconfig..)

Quote:
The following will automatically generate a GRUB2 configuration file including kernels images within your /boot folder, using the auto configuration scripts in /etc/grub.d, the -o specifices an output file, here the default, /boot/grub2/grub.cfg:

BTW, the update-grub command that you referenced in your original post is a Debian hack/patch.. it's not in the upstream grub2 package. So if anything, the Debian version of grub2 is farther from upstream than the Fedora version.

Last edited by DBelton; 7th March 2012 at 04:20 PM.
Old 7th March 2012, 04:54 PM
PabloTwo Offline

linuxchrome

From the link I posted earlier regarding Plymouth GUI screen:
Code:
su
yum update --enablerepo=updates-testing systemd\*
sed -i -e 's,StandardInput=tty,#StandardInput=tty,g' /lib/systemd/system/fedora-readonly.service
If you skipped the "yum update --enablerepo=updates-testing....." part as I suggested, then you need to include that step. I just checked, and there are systemd updates sitting in updates-testing. No guarantees.
Old 7th March 2012, 08:21 PM
chrismurphy Offline

macoschrome

Quote:
Better read again, particularly at this link:

Your subject title is about GRUB 2, not GRUB 0.9x which is GRUB Legacy.

---------- Post added at 01:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:09 PM ----------

Quote:
Nowhere in the fedora documentation does it say grub2-mkconfig is required in fedora when changes are made to grub.cfg.
This is in GRUB2's manual. It says there, and in the grub.cfg that you're advised NOT to make changes to grub.cfg. The changes should be made in /etc/default/grub and then you run grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg to cause a whole new grub.cfg to be created.

Quote:
Now unless the fedora documentation is all wrong and numerous posters on this site are wrong then you are indeed wrong.
You're wrong. You admitted above you're editing grub.cfg not /etc/default/grub. You have confused the state of GRUB 0.9 and GRUB 2. Your document citation is August 2011 just before the switch from GRUB 0.9 to GRUB 2. The heavily modified Red Hat version of GRUB is based on 0.9. The GRUB 2 version you're using for BIOS based booting is minimally changed from upstream, but hey, even if you don't think so, absent things called facts, you're welcome to build from source and see if that fixes your problem. I doubt it will.

Quote:
I know in ubuntu it is required but it is NOT required by fedora per their documentation.
Fedora uses grubby to make direct changes to grub.cfg after things like kernel updates. And Fedora also defers to upstream documentation for GRUB 2, it doesn't make suggestions or recommendations on changing /etc/default/grub, so of course running grub2-mkconfig isn't going to come up in the documentation.

Quote:
Also grub2 in fedora is NOT an upstream version per the link I posted previously!
False. That quote was about GRUB 0.9. Not 2. You can't read.
Old 7th March 2012, 10:57 PM
jakebpg Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Your subject title is about GRUB 2, not GRUB 0.9x which is GRUB Legacy.

---------- Post added at 01:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:09 PM ----------

This is in GRUB2's manual. It says there, and in the grub.cfg that you're advised NOT to make changes to grub.cfg. The changes should be made in /etc/default/grub and then you run grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg to cause a whole new grub.cfg to be created.

You're wrong. You admitted above you're editing grub.cfg not /etc/default/grub. You have confused the state of GRUB 0.9 and GRUB 2. Your document citation is August 2011 just before the switch from GRUB 0.9 to GRUB 2. The heavily modified Red Hat version of GRUB is based on 0.9. The GRUB 2 version you're using for BIOS based booting is minimally changed from upstream, but hey, even if you don't think so, absent things called facts, you're welcome to build from source and see if that fixes your problem. I doubt it will.

Fedora uses grubby to make direct changes to grub.cfg after things like kernel updates. And Fedora also defers to upstream documentation for GRUB 2, it doesn't make suggestions or recommendations on changing /etc/default/grub, so of course running grub2-mkconfig isn't going to come up in the documentation.

False. That quote was about GRUB 0.9. Not 2. You can't read.

LOL, where did I admit I was editing grub cfg! I was editing grub cfg in the default directory and running grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2 as per the instructions I found on a different site!

You certainly ASSUME a lot and you know what that makes you!

And in your own words
Quote:
it doesn't make suggestions or recommendations on changing /etc/default/grub, so of course running grub2-mkconfig isn't going to come up in the documentation.
Therefore I am correct!

And again to quote your own words
Quote:
The GRUB 2 version you're using for BIOS based booting is minimally changed from upstream,
therefore hacked from the UPSTREAM VERSION!

I rest my case!

Last edited by jakebpg; 7th March 2012 at 11:05 PM.
Old 7th March 2012, 11:39 PM
chrismurphy Offline

macoschrome

Quote:
LOL, where did I admit I was editing grub cfg! I was editing grub cfg in the default directory and running grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2 as per the instructions I found on a different site!
You just admitted it again. And you admitted it here:
Quote:
Nowhere in the fedora documentation does it say grub2-mkconfig is required in fedora when changes are made to grub.cfg.
One doesn't run grub2-mkconfig when altering grub.cfg. One runs it to create a new grub.cfg after making changes either to /etc/default/grub or /etc/grub.d scripts.

Quote:
You certainly ASSUME a lot and you know what that makes you!
Yeah don't think you're the only one who can be a dick. Dick. Come on here asking for help and be an ass, making accusations about hacked GRUB2 being the source of your problem without any evidence at all? Good job and good luck getting the help you're asking for.

Quote:
And again to quote your own words therefore hacked from the UPSTREAM VERSION!
You can't read. Go solve your own problems.

---------- Post added at 04:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:01 PM ----------

Quote:
sudo update-grub
This is an Ubuntu thing. It's not in GRUB2 source. It's a shortcut for grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg and it's even in the source changelog going back to 2008 that update-grub was renamed by upstream to grub-mkconfig. Fedora appends 2 because both grub 0.9 and 2 can coexist on the same system, and it's easier to differentiate. They also append 2-efi, e.g. grub2-efi-mkconfig for the EFI version of GRUB 2.

Bugs here
Git here

It's common for distros to apply bug fixes to packages, rather than wait for upstream to incorporate them. If I understand the convention correctly, current release is grub2-1.99-13.fc16 which indicates 13 modifications to version 1.99.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packag...mingGuidelines

The release number (referred to in some older documentation as a "vepoch") is how the maintainer marks build revisions, starting from 1. When a minor change (spec file changed, patch added/removed) occurs, or a package is rebuilt to use newer headers or libraries, the release number should be incremented.
Old 8th March 2012, 01:07 AM
jakebpg Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
You just admitted it again. And you admitted it here:

One doesn't run grub2-mkconfig when altering grub.cfg. One runs it to create a new grub.cfg after making changes either to /etc/default/grub or /etc/grub.d scripts.

Yeah don't think you're the only one who can be a dick. Dick. Come on here asking for help and be an ass, making accusations about hacked GRUB2 being the source of your problem without any evidence at all? Good job and good luck getting the help you're asking for.

You can't read. Go solve your own problems.

---------- Post added at 04:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:01 PM ----------

This is an Ubuntu thing. It's not in GRUB2 source. It's a shortcut for grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg and it's even in the source changelog going back to 2008 that update-grub was renamed by upstream to grub-mkconfig. Fedora appends 2 because both grub 0.9 and 2 can coexist on the same system, and it's easier to differentiate. They also append 2-efi, e.g. grub2-efi-mkconfig for the EFI version of GRUB 2.

Bugs here
Git here

It's common for distros to apply bug fixes to packages, rather than wait for upstream to incorporate them. If I understand the convention correctly, current release is grub2-1.99-13.fc16 which indicates 13 modifications to version 1.99.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packag...mingGuidelines

The release number (referred to in some older documentation as a "vepoch") is how the maintainer marks build revisions, starting from 1. When a minor change (spec file changed, patch added/removed) occurs, or a package is rebuilt to use newer headers or libraries, the release number should be incremented.
OK,
Yeah don't think you're the only one who can be a dick. Dick.

Just put your assumes where they belong!

I just wont post patches for the devs any more! And they can THANK YOU FOR THAT!

AND YES AS A RETIRED windows dev I know what I'm talking about! I've submitted a couple of fixes that have HELPED Fedora work as it should!

But that won't happen anymore, I'll just keep my fixes to myself because of people like you who DO NOT APPRECIATE the work of others to fix things and submit them as a fix(as I was trying to do here) to what was a working package upstream that got broke in fedora for one reason or another!
Old 8th March 2012, 07:04 AM
chrismurphy Offline

macoschrome

Quote:
I just wont post patches for the devs any more! And they can THANK YOU FOR THAT!

At the bottom of every page:
FedoraForum.org is privately owned and is not directly sponsored by the Fedora Project

I'm just some random person posting responses to your inanity. My views are definitely my own, not this forum's and certainly not the project. You've conflated two completely unrelated things.

Quote:
But that won't happen anymore, I'll just keep my fixes to myself because of people like you who DO NOT APPRECIATE the work of others to fix things and submit them as a fix(as I was trying to do here) to what was a working package upstream that got broke in fedora for one reason or another!
I call b.s. You submitted nothing, no facts, no fix. And posting fixes here is not how it's done anyway. Bug reports and patch suggestions go in the bugzilla.

Tags
dev, grub2, install, modifications, satndard