Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 7th March 2012, 03:43 PM
Hercules312 Offline

windows_7chrome
Installing F16 on External HDD (on a laptop)

I'm trying to install F16 on a spare USB HDD I have lying around.

I have two laptops. A Dell Inspiron (Win7) and a Compaq V3000 (Vista + F16). F16 in Compaq uses LVM2 (so does the USB HDD) and is not encrypted in any way.

I've managed to install F16 to the USB HD from the Dell without much trouble. Trouble appears when I try to boot the HDD from the other computer. The GRUB setup was the same as the Dell laptop. ie Win7 was one of the options. I can still boot to F16 in the hard disk though.

I tried installing from the other laptop but when I try to boot the HDD in Dell it refers to the root partition of F16 installed on the internal HDD of the HP and I am dropped to the debug shell.

I hope I didn't confuse you guys with all this. All I want is to have an HDD with F16 which can boot on any computer with USB boot support. Also nice if the hdd could detect the configuration of the host computer and can boot to that.

Tags
external, f16, hdd, installing, laptop

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search