Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 13th March 2012, 11:52 PM
GregLee Offline

linuxubuntufirefox
F16 - Can't browse.

I installed Fedora 16 (amd64) on a new HP p7-1220 desktop computer, on a second hard disk, and it seems to be mostly okay, except for one big problem: I can't browse to web sites outside my local network.

(I posted some of this on a different subforum, where it was misplaced, and I'm repeating it here. I hope that's okay.)

Here is what I've done to try to diagnose or fix the problem:
  • ping to my local router works, and ping to a named non-local server works (e.g. lists.fedoraproject.org).
  • I could download software during installation, and I can download new programs now -- I downloaded the Midori GTK browser.
  • Firefox seems to be working normally, except that I can't browse to any non-local site -- I get the message "Firefox can't find a server at ...". But I can browse to the web page of my router on my local network, giving its IP numbered address.
  • I changed Firefox's proxy setting to "no proxy" (I don't go through a proxy). Didn't help.
  • Midori seems to have exactly the same problem as Firefox. I tried changing its proxy setting to "no proxy" also. Didn't help.
  • The IP numbers given for the network interface info for my address, DNS, etc., are what I expect -- I don't see a problem.
  • I also have an Ubuntu system on this computer (I'm using it now) which doesn't have any such problem with browsing.
Old 14th March 2012, 12:39 AM
marko Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: F16 - Can't browse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregLee View Post
I installed Fedora 16 (amd64) on a new HP p7-1220 desktop computer, on a second hard disk, and it seems to be mostly okay, except for one big problem: I can't browse to web sites outside my local network.

(I posted some of this on a different subforum, where it was misplaced, and I'm repeating it here. I hope that's okay.)

Here is what I've done to try to diagnose or fix the problem:
  • ping to my local router works, and ping to a named non-local server works (e.g. lists.fedoraproject.org).
  • I could download software during installation, and I can download new programs now -- I downloaded the Midori GTK browser.
  • Firefox seems to be working normally, except that I can't browse to any non-local site -- I get the message "Firefox can't find a server at ...". But I can browse to the web page of my router on my local network, giving its IP numbered address.
  • I changed Firefox's proxy setting to "no proxy" (I don't go through a proxy). Didn't help.
  • Midori seems to have exactly the same problem as Firefox. I tried changing its proxy setting to "no proxy" also. Didn't help.
  • The IP numbers given for the network interface info for my address, DNS, etc., are what I expect -- I don't see a problem.
  • I also have an Ubuntu system on this computer (I'm using it now) which doesn't have any such problem with browsing.
see post #4 in this thread
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=274844

basically this sets the 'network.dns.disableIPv6' in Firefox to true
so it can use your ipv4 dns correctly

A quick way to test this is the problem is to try a different browser like Chromium or konqueror,
if they work on your Fedora but Firefox doesn't, then the disableipv6 is likely the problem
Old 14th March 2012, 03:35 AM
GregLee Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: F16 - Can't browse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
basically this sets the 'network.dns.disableIPv6' in Firefox to true
so it can use your ipv4 dns correctly
That worked. I'm posting now using F16. Thanks.

I checked the configuration of my wired interface, and the IPV6 section is set to "ignore".

Tags
browse, f16