How to go back to Grub legacy? - Page 2
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: How to go back to Grub legacy?

I found boot loader configuration as implemented on the Fedora 16 installation dvd to be a big step backwards in user-friendliness for multiboot-with-Windows -- because Grub 2 does not fit into the 512-byte MBR+partition tables allocation (otherwise I probably would have gone with it), and (IME) Grub-legacy was not installed instead.

To get Grub legacy installed, I had to do a clean install of FC15 then upgrade that to 16. Not only that, but I had to go back in and manually add the grub.config entry for boot Fedora (it did keep the Windows entry).

Now that it's running, it works fine and auto-updates the menu for kernel upgrades.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chrismurphy
    Despite being absurdly complex, I've found it easier to just move forward with grub2. You shouldn't need to interact with it all that much. There are a handful of keys in /etc/default/grub such as GRUB_DISABLE_RECOVERY=true, and anytime that file is changed you need to run the obligatory:
    grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg

So I'm not sure really what more you want unless your needs are complex enough that you're manually editing the grub.conf file.
    Chris
    WRONG, there are many options in grub2 that can and do work with a little tweaking since it is a hacked version of upstream for now.

YOU JUST HAVE TO ummmmm READ/experiment between fedoras and upstreams documentation which you obviously can't do, do to some comprehension problems I'd guess!

Paul , you're right grub legacy is much easier but it is no longer being maintained hence the reason for fedora moving to grub2. As stated by one of the devs, hopefully F17 will no longer use a hacked version of the upstream version and all of its features for the final release of F17!

I'm running the F17 alpha and it works great and seems rock solid on my laptop.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had Fedora 13 or something on my wife's laptop. It starts, goes through Grub and automatically boots Windows 7. My wife didn't even notice it. I re-installed Fedora 17 over that and now it automatically boots into Fedora unless you hit a key then toggle down to Windows. Wife not happy at all with this.

Is there a line I could edit into the conf file to emulate my Grub legacy boot preference?
    A five minute fix?
    Or please point me to simple instructions to revert to Grub Legacy.

After looking at the extensive documentation for Grub 2, it's clear Grub 2 is not really an option for me, I'd prefer to stay with Fedora but am willing to consider suggestions to other OS's at this point.

Thank you for taking time to read. Any assistance is appreciated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by powerbooksteve
    Is there a line I could edit into the conf file to emulate my Grub legacy boot preference?
    Here's a guess:
    Code:
    cat /boot/grub2/grub.cfg | grep -i "windows"
    See if this reveals the title entry in the grub.cfg for Windows. You'll need to copy the full title entry inside quotes and add it the part in quotes here:

Code:
    GRUB_DEFAULT="Windows 7 blah blah blah"
    That line goes in /etc/default/grub

Then run
    Code:
    Now see if Windows is the default. If so you're set. You could also add GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=4 to hide the GRUB menu, wait 4 seconds to boot Windows which would give you that long to interrupt and reveal the GRUB menu and manually choose a Fedora entry instead. If you add that to /etc/default/grub you need to rerun the mkconfig command again.

Or please point me to simple instructions to revert to Grub Legacy.
    I have done it, I don't think it was simple. I've since moved forward with GRUB2 on BIOS hardware.

After looking at the extensive documentation for Grub 2, it's clear Grub 2 is not really an option for me, I'd prefer to stay with Fedora but am willing to consider suggestions to other OS's at this point.
    Fedora, Ubuntu, most all other distros, have moved to GRUB2. That is current and supported. GRUB Legacy is so old it hasn't had updates in something like 6 years, and you can't even get support for it on the GNU GRUB listserve.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sonoran
    Maybe just setting up a partition table and partitions before you install Fedora would give you a grub2 you could live with.
    This is what I always do before instaling any operating system: I do not trust the OS installers doing partitioning for me (including Fedora's own installer).

Before starting installation I partition the disk using either an already installed OS, or a live CD. When I do this, anaconda installer does later what I tell it to do -- not what it was programmed to do by default, it uses three logical partitions that I previously created on an extended partition for / , swap, and /home. I install GRUB to the / partition, by the way, and load it from Windows own booatloader starting with Vista (for XP, I was installing GRUB to MBR and booted XP from GRUB).

I have done this in recent years on 5 different computers coming from various manufacturers, and in all cases this worked well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's a guess:
    Code:
    See if this reveals the title entry in the grub.cfg for Windows. You'll need to copy the full title entry inside quotes and add it the part in quotes here:

Code:

Then run
    Code:
    Now see if Windows is the default. If so you're set. You could also add GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=4 to hide the GRUB menu, wait 4 seconds to boot Windows which would give you that long to interrupt and reveal the GRUB menu and manually choose a Fedora entry instead. If you add that to /etc/default/grub you need to rerun the mkconfig command again.

I have done it, I don't think it was simple. I've since moved forward with GRUB2 on BIOS hardware.

Fedora, Ubuntu, most all other distros, have moved to GRUB2. That is current and supported. GRUB Legacy is so old it hasn't had updates in something like 6 years, and you can't even get support for it on the GNU GRUB listserve.
    Thanks Chris this looks really promising. When I type the cat command I get:

[root@localhost steve]# cat /boot/grub2/grub.cfg | grep -i "windows"
    menuentry 'Windows Recovery Environment (loader) (on /dev/sda1)' --class windows --class os $menuentry_id_option 'osprober-chain-DAA41C49A41C2B11' {
    menuentry 'Windows 7 (loader) (on /dev/sda2)' --class windows --class os $menuentry_id_option 'osprober-chain-0E3CB6323CB61525' {
    So i'm guessing that "Windows 7 (loader) (on /dev/sda2)" is the piece I need?

I am not able to save the changes to /etc/default/grub.cnf with gedit, can I open gedit as rootuser somehow? I wasn't able to do anything with vi in terminal. Is there some usual way to do this?

---------- Post added at 08:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:46 PM ----------

Here's a guess:
    Code:

Code:

Then run
    Code:

Thanks Chris this looks really promising. When I type the cat command I get:

[root@localhost steve]# cat /boot/grub2/grub.cfg | grep -i "windows"
    menuentry 'Windows Recovery Environment (loader) (on /dev/sda1)' --class windows --class os $menuentry_id_option 'osprober-chain-DAA41C49A41C2B11' {
    menuentry 'Windows 7 (loader) (on /dev/sda2)' --class windows --class os $menuentry_id_option 'osprober-chain-0E3CB6323CB61525' {
    So i'm guessing that "Windows 7 (loader) (on /dev/sda2)" is the piece I need?

I am not able to save the changes to /etc/default/grub.cnf with gedit, can I open gedit as rootuser somehow? I wasn't able to do anything with vi in terminal. Is there some usual way to do this?

---------- Post added at 09:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:46 PM ----------

Ah Chris that was excellent, and it worked!!!!!!!! I just went with it, used gedit to edit a copy of grub.conf, then mv'd that puppy as root and overwrote the old one. Ran the script and now Windows is the default. The wife was desensitized to s.eeing the old grub screen so i'll probably let this one be visible also just to keep the gains we've made previously.

Thank you very much.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12