Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 15th March 2012, 08:47 PM
Zx123 Offline

linuxfirefox
[SOLVED]Samsung mono laser working on F16 64bit?

Has anyone got a Samsung mono laser working on F16 64bit? If so which one?

I have a Samsung ML-2240 which worked with the Unified Driver from their website on F13 32-bit, after some messing about with SELinux.

The Unified Driver hasn't been updated for a couple of years and apparently poses a security hazard.

Anyway, I tried it on F16 and it didn't work. CUPS couldn't see the USB printer afterwards.

I reinstalled F16 for that and other reasons.

I tried taking the ppd and rastertosamsungspl files from the Unified Driver as described here.

http://www.patrickmin.com/linux/tip.php?name=ml2240

I've tried foomatic with no results.

I've tried SpliX from the Fedora repo, which produced entries in the error log.

I've removed the Fedora version of SpliX and downloaded and compiled the subversion. No error log entries.
The job is reported as completed but the printer does nothing.

Has anyone got a Samsung mono laser printer to work with F16 64bit?

Last edited by Zx123; 26th April 2012 at 11:01 PM.
Old 27th April 2012, 12:26 AM
Zx123 Offline

linuxfirefox
[SOLVED] Samsung mono laser working on F16 64bit?

Fixed, works with the Splix driver. It's embarrassing.

I use it with a cartridge refilled from a bottle of toner.

It was working until I went to 64bit Fedora. I assumed it was a software problem. It turns out that the printer keeps a count of the number of pages and the firmware refuses to work if it goes over 2000 for a toner cartridge. The counter popped at the same time as the OS upgrade.

The solution was to open the printer and power it up with pins 1 and 4 of the 93C66WP EEPROM shorted together, which resets the count to zero. You can also solder a link between pins 1 and 4 and the count resets to zero on each power up which is what I did. Apparently, it won't work with some firmware versions. Instructions can be found by googling Samsung and 93C66WP.

There are some sites talking about hacked firmware and chips to do the same thing, but the link works for me.

Last edited by Zx123; 27th April 2012 at 12:31 AM.

Tags
64bit, f16, laser, mono, samsung, working