Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 16th March 2012, 03:10 PM
navneethr Offline

linuxopera
Only root show be able to connect/disconnect from netwok

Hello,
I am using Fedora 14 on 4 of my computers which are connected in a LAN. How do I ensure only root can start and stop the network. Right now I am noticing that any user can make a right click on the network icon and enable/disable it."
Is it possible to remove the network icon from the top menu....Would appreciate some suggestion on how to do this?
Regards
Old 16th March 2012, 03:30 PM
jpollard Online

linuxfirefox
Re: Only root show be able to connect/disconnect from netwok

I belive there is an option under the network administration that labels a device as "user controled". If it is not flagged, then users will not be able to start/stop the network.

You can also look at the /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts for the device and change the "USERCTL=yes" to "USERCTL=no" to get the same effect.

BTW, check all network startup scripts (you have one for each interface), also good idea to check the "ONBOOT" parameter to make sure it has the value "yes" (otherwise you could be running around starting everybodys network).

Last edited by jpollard; 16th March 2012 at 03:33 PM.
Old 17th March 2012, 02:42 AM
navneethr Offline

linuxopera

I will try this out...Thanks very much for your suggestions..
Old 26th March 2012, 01:40 PM
navneethr Offline

linuxopera

Hello,
I tried your solution ...You can see in the snap shot that userc cannot start and stop the device.
But yet they are given the option to disconnect on the top network icon.
I would like that users should not be able to disconnect or re-connect. The moment the Lan cable is connected to the router the network icon should indicate that network is ready. If the router is switche off the NW icon should shouw discconeted.
The user (other than root) should not be able to do anything.
Please see sketch. Help/suggestions would be very much appreciated.
Regards
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	network.png
Views:	41
Size:	123.9 KB
ID:	22893  

Tags
connect or disconnect, netwok, root