Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 16th March 2012, 11:45 PM
jakebpg Offline

linuxfirefox
What Grub Version

What version of grub is Fedora using. I see by the boot directory that it says grub2 but when I go to koji it's not grub2 which is 1.99.

So what's up with that?

Is Fedora actually using Grub2 or is it still using grub Legacy hacked into a sudo grub2 (grub-0.97-87.fc17 as listed on koji)?

Just a little bit confused on what's going on here. I'm looking at playing with grub2 and experimenting on the various grub options and mods so it does make a difference on what the devs are using for RC for the final grub version!

Anyone really know besides the devs?
Old 17th March 2012, 12:16 AM
tox

windows_7firefox
Re: What Grub Version

no idea jake the snake. we dont really know here. your best to ask the devs directly in #fedora-devel irc channel on freenode
Old 17th March 2012, 01:05 AM
jakebpg Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by tox View Post
no idea jake the snake. we dont really know here. your best to ask the devs directly in #fedora-devel irc channel on freenode
OK will do, thanks.

Just thought some one here might know as some of the people here actually are on the dev mail lists.
Old 17th March 2012, 01:12 AM
tox

windows_7firefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakebpg View Post
OK will do, thanks.

Just thought some one here might know as some of the people here actually are on the dev mail lists.
why would Fedora use a Hacked version? bit like saying why would Ubuntu use a Hacked version of systemd and not the real thing.
Old 17th March 2012, 02:14 AM
jakebpg Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
why would Fedora use a Hacked version? bit like saying why would Ubuntu use a Hacked version of systemd and not the real thing.
Please, are you a dev?

If not you have no idea of what hacked means!

As a dev I use hacked as have all my cohorts that I managed before retiring!

Whenever you take a default package like grub and customize it to meet your needs you are in fact hacking it!

Even when you go to the grub2 site and read through their documentation they use the word hack!

Hacked is MUCH different then hacking a system and two greatly different terms!

And yes Ubuntu hacks grub2 just as most Linux versions do!

Go to koji, download the src and then go to http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/ and download the un-hacked version and do a file diff by directory and you will be amazed at the huge difference that you will see.

When devs use the term hack they are NOT talking about hacking a system or website but customizing software sources to meet their needs from the original software distribution.

I'm NOT calling the devs hacks, but only want to know what hacks they have done from the original code distribution!
Old 17th March 2012, 02:24 AM
tox

windows_7firefox

no im not a Dev. wish i was one, i might run rings around these gnome devs
Old 17th March 2012, 02:38 AM
jakebpg Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
no im not a Dev. wish i was one, i might run rings around these gnome devs
LOL, now that's funny!

I've never liked Gnome and never will, it just seems clumsy and it's not intuitive not to mention I just dislike the way it presented itself!

If their's one thing I learned throughout the years it's KEEP IT SIMPLE and that includes all of the features as well!

It's also one of the things I demanded from my workers. If an average pc user has to ask ? after ? to complete a task then it's to complicated!
Old 17th March 2012, 02:49 AM
bob Online
Administrator (yeah, back again)

Location: Colton, NY; Junction of Heaven & Earth (also Routes 56 & 68).
linuxfirefox

Back to the original question: http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/grub-download.html Check out the official download version: "1.99" So, that's the current state of Grub2.
Registered Linux User #362651

Don't use any of my solutions on working computers or near small children.
Old 17th March 2012, 03:11 AM
tox

windows_7firefox

grub2 beta 2.00 is at http://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/grub
Old 17th March 2012, 03:18 AM
AdamW Offline
Fedora QA Community Monkey

linuxfirefox

We have both grub-legacy and grub2 packaged: the former as 'grub', the latter as 'grub2'.

When you do a stock install of Fedora 16 or Fedora 17, you get grub2 - unless you boot via native EFI, in which case you get grub-legacy. (That's why grub-legacy is still around).

Fedora 16's grub2 is upstream release 1.99, with quite a lot of patches backported.

Fedora 17's grub2 is - as of yesterday - upstream release 2.00~beta2.

grub-legacy has been 0.97 in all Fedora releases for years and years, with various patches we've written over time as it hasn't been maintained upstream.
http://www.happyassassin.net

Tags
grub, version