Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 18th March 2012, 01:29 AM
rholme Offline

linuxfirefox
rc?.d scripts and startup in fedora 16

I am pretty well acquainted with /etc/rc?.c/{S,K}nnScripts and used to be familiar with /etc/rc.local.

In fedora 14 I could get things to run in ./etc/rc.local (was an empty script but I could add lines - in fedora 16 here is nothing there at all) and one should be able ro run scrips in rc?.d at startup (S..) or shutdown (K..) of the OS state (ATT Unix System V style). In fedora 14 I used rc.local as I had some problems getting local things to run right in the K/S scripts. In fedora 16, I cannot seem to get an /etc/rc9.d/S99xxx or /etc/rc0.d/K99xxx script to run, nor can I make a new file (was none) for /etc/rc.local and get it to run. In each case I inserted a command to watch the run and then rebooted.

e.g.
echo $* >> /tmp/some_log_file

I have concluded that I cannot get any script to run at boot time or shutdownt time. My goal is simply to run a few commands upon boot - rc0 ... rc5 - it does not matter as long as it happens before I (the user login).

I will note that I added an rc6/S56ixinetd script and xinetd does come up (but a command insertedd in there does not log so I have no idea how it comes up!).

I will also note that I see very few SNNxxx scripts but several KNNxxx scripts in /etc/rc?.d directories.

I have been dealing with Unix for a LONG time and am at al loss.

i am confused. I know Unix well and thought we had system 5 sematics.

WTF am I doing wrong?
Old 18th March 2012, 02:01 AM
stoat Offline

linuxopera
Re: rc?.d scripts and startup in fedora 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by rholme

I will also note that I see very few SNNxxx scripts but several KNNxxx scripts in /etc/rc?.d directories.
Fedora 16 continues the conversion of SysV init scripts to native systemd service files. As package maintainers switch over to systemd units, they are dropping their old SysV scripts. I imagine someday none will be left.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rholme

In fedora 14 I could get things to run in ./etc/rc.local (was an empty script but I could add lines - in fedora 16 here is nothing there at all)
Kinda the same explanation for that. There is some systemd way of doing that now. But according to the Fedora 16 release notes, if you need to, you still can create /etc/rc.d/rc.local, make it executable, and it will run on boot.
Old 18th March 2012, 01:42 PM
rholme Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: rc?.d scripts and startup in fedora 16

Well you answered my question and confused the heck out of me.

I put in an /etc/rc.d/rc.local script and it worked fine. This is what I needed.

I also removed my added scripts to rc5.d which did not appear to be doing anything: S56xinetd
and yes xinetd is running anyway - GREAT.

However, I also waded through the systemd man pages for quite a while and remain baffled on how these scripts work.

I am quite content to have rc.local do the work as it is just fine, but I sure would like to know how the new systemd init works. Can you point to some online documents or which man pages will start at the top??

Many thianks. :=]

Tags
fedora, fedora 16 boo scripts, rcd, scripts, startup