Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 19th March 2012, 07:21 AM
chrismurphy Offline

macoschrome
TC2 DVD media *requires* networking?

Umm, this is new. TC1 did not behave this way. Without networking, the installer fails. See attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2012-03-19 at 12.19.22 AM.png
Views:	86
Size:	11.9 KB
ID:	22872  
Old 19th March 2012, 07:35 AM
chrismurphy Offline

macoschrome
Re: TC2 DVD media *requires* networking?

Haha. OK so I think I know what's going on. Test Updates and Updates repos are enabled by default. If the interface has a connection, but connection to the internet is made null at the router, anaconda will just sit there (maybe forever) waiting to download repo information. If the ethernet interface does not have a cable connected, I get the previously posted screen shot right after partitioning and bootloader installation.

2.3G of data downloaded, and this thing is acting like a 160MB netinst.iso?
Old 19th March 2012, 07:38 AM
DBelton Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox

are you trying to put the DVD media onto a USB stick and install from there.

This has been an issue with Fedora for several releases now. For some reason, anaconda searches the optical drives for the install repos instead of the USB drive it was started from. When it can't find the install repos on the optical drives, it will ask you to set up networking so it can access the online repos.

There is a repo= kernel parameter that can be used, or try using the livecd-iso-to-disk program to create your USB stick with.
Old 19th March 2012, 07:43 AM
chrismurphy Offline

macoschrome

Not a stick. Burned DVD in one case. And in three or four other attempts, using the .iso assigned to the CD/DVD device in a VBox VM.

---------- Post added at 12:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:42 AM ----------

The Updates and Test Updates repos in TC1 were not checked. If I have a network connection to allow the installer to proceed normally, I end up at the screen with all three repo options checked: disk, Updates, Test Updates.
Old 19th March 2012, 07:46 AM
DBelton Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox

if you got that from a burned DVD, then I would consider it a bug.

You should not have to have a network connection to install from the DVD media. Now if you specifically wish to enable the online repos during the install, then that is one thing, but if you don't enable the online repos, then you should not have to have a network connection.
Old 19th March 2012, 07:48 AM
chrismurphy Offline

macoschrome

This (screenshot) message appears BEFORE the option to enable repos.

If I reboot, with a network+internet connection, I arrive at the window with repo options all selected by default. I think that's the bug. Is the repos that require a network connection are enabled by default.
Old 19th March 2012, 07:54 AM
DBelton Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox

yea, that is the same place it appears if you have it on a USB stick as well.

You get the screen telling you to set up a network connection, if you don't set one up, the install fails, if you do set one up, then you get the option to enable the online repos. Only in the case of the problem on the USB sticks, the repos on the install media isn't found, so you have no repos enabled unless you enable the online repos.
Old 19th March 2012, 07:56 AM
chrismurphy Offline

macoschrome

I do not get a screen telling me to setup a network connection with TC2. I did with TC1, but that network setup dialog only appeared upon checking one of the additional repo checkboxes.
Old 19th March 2012, 08:05 AM
DBelton Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox

That would be normal. If you select one of the additional repos, then you would have to have a network connection.

But the error where it came up before you selected any additional repos would be a bug, in my opinion.
Old 19th March 2012, 08:52 AM
chrismurphy Offline

macoschrome

It's looking like one nasty bug, IMO. It basically turns the DVD into a netinst.iso

---------- Post added at 01:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:08 AM ----------

It just gets worse. Even when I uncheck Updates and Updates Testing, it still takes ~10 minutes to download a bunch of stuff while starting the installation (dependency checks, which I think would be built into the DVD installer already). And then during the installation, it goes fast in parts and then dog slow in parts. When slow I see it downloading stuff...

Guess I'll switch to LiveCD.

---------- Post added at 01:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:14 AM ----------

Plus, the way TC1 boots is different than TC2. TC1 I first get a blue and red mostly text based GUI, or whatever it's called. And then graphical anaconda loads. With TC2, I go straight to anaconda.

---------- Post added at 01:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:18 AM ----------

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=804446
Old 19th March 2012, 07:41 PM
AdamW Offline
Fedora QA Community Monkey

linuxfirefox

chris: yes, that's the source of the bug: there was a very big change in anaconda between tc1 and tc2, referred to as 'noloader'. see anaconda list for more details.
http://www.happyassassin.net

Tags
dvd, media, networking, requires, tc2