Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 23rd March 2012, 02:59 AM
Dutch Offline

windows_7chrome
NDISwrapper on offline computer

I am aware this question has been posted before but in those threads are either no answers at all or none that help me.
After browsing for over 2 hours I got frustrated and had to ask for myself.

So I have a Dell sitting here with a Core2Duo that I intend to use as a server.
Came across this thing called Amahi and wanted to try it out.
I've been on Ubuntu in the past but not for long and it is the only linux experience I have.

Anyway, this Dell is too far away fro mthe modem to hook up by ethernet and so I have to use Wireless.
But the USB Dongle I use isn't supported by default and so I would need to use NDiswrapper to try and get it to work.
But first I have to install ndiswrapper to begin with.

This is where the problems are already beginning.

I've downloaded ndiswrapper-1.57-1.fc16.x86_64.rpm and install using rpm -ivh file.rpm only to be told it requires kmod-ndiswrapper-1.57-1.fc16.9.x86_64
which in turn needs kmod-ndiswrapper-3.2.8-3.fc16.x86_64-1.57-1.fc16.9.x86_64

And then I still get ndiswrapper-kmod-common is needed blah blah

I'm doing something wrong, but what?

Is there anyone who can point me to the right files and correct instructions on how to get this thing installed?
Old 23rd March 2012, 04:51 AM
nonamedotc Offline
Community Manager

linuxfirefox
Re: NDISwrapper on offline computer

This file is available in the rpmfusion repository. You can easily install it using yum.

Quote:
Name : ndiswrapper
Arch : x86_64
Version : 1.57
Release : 1.fc16
Size : 34 k
Repo : rpmfusion-free-updates
Summary : Ndiswrapper wraps around Windows WLAN drivers within Linux
URL : http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net
License : GPLv2
Description : The ndiswrapper project makes it possible to use WLAN-Hardware
: with Linux by means of a loadable kernel module that "wraps
: around" NDIS (Windows network driver API) drivers. These rpms contain
: just the kernel module and loader. You will also need the Windows driver
: for your card.
:
: WARNING: Fedora-Kernels use 4K size stack. Many Windows drivers
: will need at least 8K size stacks. For details read the wiki on:
: http:/ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net
It is also the same version (see above) to what you have indicated in your post. Hope this helps.

---------- Post added at 10:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:46 PM ----------

SORRY ! I misread your post.

You have indicated that you cannot connect to internet. You can find the dependencies (on another computer) using the following command

Code:
 yum deplist package_name
You can then download the required rpm files and then install them individually.
Old 23rd March 2012, 05:49 AM
Dutch Offline

linuxsafari

I actuallly nnoticed I had the wrong files at first. Those were for Fedora 16 and I have 14.
But even with the right ones I had the same issues. Ones dependancy after anotherr and the last one talking about my kernel. Uname -r gave me the immpression I had the wrong files then too.

Anyway your last suggestion sounds clever....if it wasn't for the fact that I would have to obtain the files from a windows pc. (Blasphemy on this forum, I know ).
Any chance there's another option? Id hate to pick up the whole setup with mouse, keyboard and monitor to bring it to the router
Old 23rd March 2012, 05:58 AM
nonamedotc Offline
Community Manager

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
I actuallly nnoticed I had the wrong files at first. Those were for Fedora 16 and I have 14.
But even with the right ones I had the same issues. Ones dependancy after anotherr and the last one talking about my kernel. Uname -r gave me the immpression I had the wrong files then too.

Anyway your last suggestion sounds clever....if it wasn't for the fact that I would have to obtain the files from a windows pc. (Blasphemy on this forum, I know ).
Any chance there's another option? Id hate to pick up the whole setup with mouse, keyboard and monitor to bring it to the router
Honestly, I would do that. Simply connect it using a wired connection, install everything using yum so that you can avoid all (hopefully) dependency problems and get your computer working ...

May be someone else has a better suggestion - but this is the best I could think of! By the way, this is the list of dependencies (actual output edited)

PHP Code:

package
ndiswrapper.x86_64 1.57-1.fc16
   provider
bash.x86_64 4.2.24-1.fc16
   provider
perl.x86_64 4:5.14.2-197.fc16
   provider
glibc.x86_64 2.14.90-24.fc16.6
   provider
   provider
   provider
  provider
   provider

dependency
ndiswrapper-kmod >= 1.57
   provider
kmod-ndiswrapper-3.2.7-1.fc16.x86_64.x86_64 1.57-1.fc16.8
   provider
kmod-ndiswrapper.x86_64 1.57-1.fc16.8
   provider
akmod-ndiswrapper.x86_64 1.57-1.fc16
   provider
perl-PathTools.x86_64 3.33-197.fc16
   provider
perl.x86_64 4:5.14.2-197.fc16
   provider
   provider
glibc.i686 2.14.90-24.fc16.6 
Hope this is of some help.
Old 23rd March 2012, 04:51 PM
Dutch Offline

linuxsafari

I ended up going downstairs, hoooked it up, reinstalled fedora 14 to start from scratch. Used rpmfusion to compile and install ndiswrapper, added the driver. Only to find out that for some odd reason the dongle wasn't lighting up anymore.
I don't know if iit broke or if it is because it wasn't plugged in during install. But I do know that I've spent over 6 hours on just the internet and it still doesn't work.

So I give up until I find a good deal on a card that's supported by fedora 14.
Shame really, I was looking forward to playing with it.

In any case, thanks a llot for your advice. I appreciate the help.
See you around when I make it back

Tags
ndiswrapper, offline