Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 24th March 2012, 02:57 AM
Bandit Offline

linuxfirefox
Slow Internal Network File Transfer Speeds.

Installed FC16 and GNOME 3.2 last night. Have to say I am so far super impressed. It even seen my raid array with no problems and was setup and running really really quickly. Cudos to everyone who worked on this release.
That being siad, I have been reinstalling my backed up files.. all...... day....... long........................
I installed Samba and ended up with very slow transfer speeds ~3.0MB/s tops, thought it was a smb.conf issue and spent better part of the day re-learning samba tweeking 101.. Ehh gave up on that a hour or two ago and thought I would just install FTP on one of my Windows Netbooks. Well getting same slow speeds over FTP. So looks like its not a samba issue. I tried multiple computers to get files from with same speed issues and the confusing thing is external speeds off the net are still super fast over 12-20MB/s using speed test..
So I am having trouble finding the bottleneck. ifconfig doesnt show any conflics. So anyone got any suggestions?

Thanks,
Joey
Old 24th March 2012, 03:28 AM
marko Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: Slow Internal Network File Transfer Speeds.

What kind of network connection? Wireless or wired; if wired is it 100Mbit or 1Gbit? If wireless what kind is it, g or n ?

You can click the connection in NetworkManager's desktop widget and it will show what it sees as the connection speed
Old 24th March 2012, 08:48 AM
Chilly Willy Offline

linuxfirefox

I'm probably way off in left field again, but...
By any chance, is there a USB HD in this mix, especially on the linux box?
If so, is it USB 2 or 3?

The speed reflects this & there are known issues with the speed of such, especially 3, is why I ask.

By its very nature, Windows is a PANE!
Old 24th March 2012, 09:34 AM
stevea Offline

linuxfirefox

Samba/smbios is a really slow/ugly protocol, and if you are transferring a lot of small files (say <16KB) then your data rate may be realistic. However that's not a problem with ftp.

I suggest you install 'nuttcp' (it's available for windows too) and test your system/system data rate with tcp.

3MB(mega-BYTES)/s is about 30mbps if we consider the tcp overhead.
When you say you get 12-20MB/s on the Inet that means you have a 120-200mbps connection.
Is that what you are saying ?

I suspect you are confusing megabits(mb) and magabytes(MB).

Last edited by stevea; 24th March 2012 at 09:39 AM.
Old 25th March 2012, 04:39 AM
Bandit Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
What kind of network connection? Wireless or wired; if wired is it 100Mbit or 1Gbit? If wireless what kind is it, g or n ?

You can click the connection in NetworkManager's desktop widget and it will show what it sees as the connection speed
Its a mix. My system is hardwired 1GBit, but the other PC is a netbook wireless using G I believe. Pretty sure its not using N, will double check.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly Willy View Post
I'm probably way off in left field again, but...
By any chance, is there a USB HD in this mix, especially on the linux box?
If so, is it USB 2 or 3?

The speed reflects this & there are known issues with the speed of such, especially 3, is why I ask.
Well its an external USB hard drive, a Segate Free Agent external that all my data is backed up on. But even on slow connection on the laptop it gets 5MB/s. For some reason or another Linux despite the distro has always hated that drive, may be NTFS. Been so long I cant recal. Will check on that though..

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevea View Post
Samba/smbios is a really slow/ugly protocol, and if you are transferring a lot of small files (say <16KB) then your data rate may be realistic. However that's not a problem with ftp.

I suggest you install 'nuttcp' (it's available for windows too) and test your system/system data rate with tcp.

3MB(mega-BYTES)/s is about 30mbps if we consider the tcp overhead.
When you say you get 12-20MB/s on the Inet that means you have a 120-200mbps connection.
Is that what you are saying ?

I suspect you are confusing megabits(mb) and magabytes(MB).
No not confusing anything, its getting on average 2.7 MB/s which is about 22ish megabit connection.. Should be seeing much faster, unless my wireless on both my netbooks is using B..
Old 25th March 2012, 05:56 AM
stevea Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit View Post
No not confusing anything,[...]..
Quote:
external speeds off the net are still super fast over 12-20MB/s using speed test..
Unless you get 12-20MegaBYTE/sec off the inet your statements are confused.
Which is unusually fast for N.America UNLESS you mean 12-20mb/s (megabit, not megabyte).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit View Post
its getting on average 2.7 MB/s which is about 22ish megabit connection.. Should be seeing much faster, unless my wireless on both my netbooks is using B..
No wrong. 802.11B is 11mbps, and 80211.g is UP TO 54mbps on the physical layer, but due to the overhead of the ODFM and error management the actual data throughput for 802.11g is about the 22mbps you are observing, and it can drop back to lower rates on weak signals.

So let me suggest these are the facts -
You have a wifi setup where the slowest link is 802.11g.
802.11g has nominal 22mbps throughput of data.
You've measured throughput locally at ~22mbps (2.7MB.s).
You've measured Inet throughput at 12-20mbps.

There is no mystery here - you are experiencing normal 802.11g throughput limits.

Tags
file, internal, network, slow, speeds, transfer