Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Fedora 19/20 > Using Fedora
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Using Fedora General support for current versions. Ask questions about Fedora and it's software that do not belong in any other forum.

Old 28th March 2012, 02:26 AM
ldelossa Offline

windows_7chrome
Intermittent wireless connection in latest linux kernel

Hey guys after fedora updated and downloaded the new 3.3 kernels i get spotty connectivity. It literally goes off and on; on a relatively paced manner about ever 2 minutes. I get full internet connection when enabled but absolutely nothing when it cuts out. Is there a good spot to look at for logs?

System: thinkpad w520
intel wireless card
Old 28th March 2012, 02:54 AM
jbuckley2004 Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: Intermittent wireless connection in latest linux kernel

I seem to be having nearly the same problem with an D-Link (atheros) wireless using the ath5k driver. It's been reliable for years, but since the 3.3 kernal, I've had intermittent cut out.

It's not as bad as your problem, Ldelossa. I'm losing the connection only once ever couple of hours.

What is surprising is that I'm not able to reconnect without re-booting. For some reason, it's failing to re-establish the connection after given the WPA 2 password.
Old 28th March 2012, 09:52 AM
ldelossa Offline

windows_7chrome

That's interesting. My first hunch is that something is wrong with the authentication processes. I think this because i obtain an ip. have complete access, and then im discounted after getting a message that authentication or activation has failed. It never gave me this problem on the 2.+ kernels.
Old 25th April 2012, 11:55 AM
LuckyPhil Offline

linuxchrome

Hey Guys,

I'm also using the Fedora 17 beta with Kernel 3.3 and have been experiencing the same issues. I'm using a USB Wireless Dongle from my old Samsung BlueRay player. It's a WIS09ABGN which is based on the linksys wireless chipset (though of course now I Google it I can't find it!).

Anyway, was all working rock steady until a few days ago when upgraded to 3.3 Kernel. Now intermittently it drops out, sometimes it comes straight back up but occasionally it just dies and I have to unplug it and plug it back in to bring it back up. Service Network Restart doesn't seem to do the job unfortunately.

Any thoughts?

Lucky Phil

---------- Post added at 08:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:45 PM ----------

And just to elaborate. I'm on Kernel version 3.3.2-8.fc17.x86_6

Tags
connection, intermittent, kernel, latest, linux, wireless