Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 29th March 2012, 09:54 PM
Neolander Offline

windows_xp_2003ie
Lost in Fedora 15.5 hiatus

Hi everyone !

So, after some good time with Fedora 15 Xfce x86_64, I decided to try to upgrade to the newer 16 release in order to get a little more up to date with respect to kernel and other stuff. Since I didn't have a CD-R or DVD-R at hand and didn't feel like reinstalling everything, I decided to give preupgrade a try for the first time. And after a rocky start, everything finally looked good : all packages were downloaded, reboot, and installation of packages started properly.

But then anaconda failed to install the newer "qt-examples" package and to revert the previous installation of F15. So now, I apparently have something inbetween Fedora 15 and Fedora 16, which doesn't work. I cannot boot into my old fedora installation (tons of errors on boot, including udev failing to start, then a freeze), and I cannot complete installation of F16 either since it keeps failing at the "qt-examples" step each time.

Any tips on how to fix this ? I think of either uninstalling qt-examples or running anaconda from the command line in some kind of "force" mode that would allow me to skip failed packages, completing F16 installation, and then looking at this problem in more details, but for that I guess I would need to successfully boot in CLI mode on either installation.

PS : I have a backup of my /home, but I would like to recover the rest if possible

---------- Post added at 06:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:41 AM ----------

Alright, now I have found out how to chroot in the system, remove the old qt-examples, finish anaconda installation and reboot.

New issue : lots of error messages during boot, udev still fails to start, gdm shows up but I cannot log in graphically since every input device on my computer refuses to work.

I suspect that this is due to fc15 packages not being properly removed. I am now going to examine this possibility.

---------- Post added at 08:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:39 PM ----------

Well, now I've lost network connectivity. Considering how vital it is for Linux tinkering, I guess it is time to give up...

Last edited by Neolander; 29th March 2012 at 11:01 AM.
Old 30th March 2012, 03:29 AM
ryptyde Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: Lost in Fedora 15.5 hiatus

I would try upgrading from the DVD if you can. I had preupgrade give me a problem and then retried with the install DVD and upgraded.

phil
Old 10th April 2012, 11:49 PM
David P Offline

windows_vistafirefox

[QUOTE=Neolander;1566064]Hi everyone !

Alright, now I have found out how to chroot in the system, remove the old qt-examples, finish anaconda installation and reboot.

You couldn't let me into the secret,could you?

David

---------- Post added at 02:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:14 AM ----------

Partially resolved the problem. Removed the old qt-examples (f14) from the old repo.

Used Alt-F2 to get a screen after failed boot and used rpm with dbpath pointing at mnt/sysimage/var/lib/rpm (I think).

Now I have a system which has bits of 14 and 16 including f14 repos, which I need to sort.

I had intended to use yum to upgrade but after reading all the warnings and promises that preupgrade was the tried and trusted method I went with it. More fool me. Last time I try preupgrade. Might be my last time with fedora.
Old 30th August 2012, 03:08 PM
axet Offline

macoschrome

the same here. iv tried to preupgrade my fedora 15 installation to fedora 17 and got the same problem - qt-examples failed to upgrade.

installation stops and wont continue.
Old 31st August 2012, 12:21 PM
george_toolan Offline

linuxfirefox

Try to remove qt-examples.

As far as I can tell these are optional and that's why the developers of "preupgrade" didn't test this.
Old 31st August 2012, 12:22 PM
axet Offline

macoschrome

i did. installation continues.

and i got the same "dbus problem".

so i have to reinstall it all.

Tags
155, fedora, hiatus, lost, preupgrade