Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 30th March 2012, 09:46 PM
mpolo Offline

linuxfirefox
Evolution with Davmail Fedora 16

I just upgraded to Fedora 16 (this has been a semi-nightmare, as apparently an old gstreamer.i686 was preventing my complete system update from going through). But I think that I am close to having everything work.

I am using XFCE as a windowing manager.

My big problem now is Evolution. I am using Davmail to connect to an Exchange Server, so I pick up POP on 127.0.0.1:1110 and send SMTP to 127.0.0.1:1025 .

Since the upgrade, Evolution is trying to access 127.0.0.1 through a proxy.

"Error while Fetching Mail. Could not connect to 127.0.0.1: Host lookup failed: name.of.defunct.proxy: Name or service not known."

This is a proxy that was correct a few years ago, but I have long stopped using that proxy (and it has ceased to exist). In the preferences inside of Evolution, I have a Manual proxy configuration to the correct host (and a "No proxy for 127.0.0.1" exception).

The environment variable $http_proxy is undefined.

As far as I can tell, the gnome system proxy is properly configured (though there is no good tool to look at this that I can find under XFCE).

Where could Evolution be getting the idea that it shouldn't connect directly?

Last edited by mpolo; 30th March 2012 at 09:59 PM. Reason: ftp -> SMTP
Old 31st March 2012, 05:25 PM
mpolo Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: Evolution with Davmail Fedora 16

I managed to solve this myself. The trick was to run gnome-control-center from the command line. This allowed me to change the one remaining place where that proxy was referenced. It is interesting that Evolution insists on using the Gnome proxy to get mail even if you have indicated that you do not wish to use the system setting within Evolution.

Tags
davmail, evolution, fedora