Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 31st March 2012, 02:29 AM
Badar Abbas Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox
Question Program Icons

I have installed a number of applications after my default Fedora 16 install. For some applications like Banshee, Anjuta, Gnote, Dia, gThumb and many others a square diamond type icon appear in Application/Program menu. How can i change them so application icon appear.
Old 31st March 2012, 04:13 AM
nonamedotc Offline
Community Manager

linuxfirefox
Re: Program Icons

How did you install these? If you used the package manager to install these, you will have the icons automatically added.

---------- Post added at 10:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:13 PM ----------

Of course, you can add the icons manually using entries in the corresponding .desktop files.
Old 2nd April 2012, 12:16 AM
Badar Abbas Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox

I have downloaded corresponding rpm files from web and installed using yumex. Option is there but icons are of diamond/square type. Can you guide me the step for changing the corresponding desktop file. Thanks in advance nonamedotc.
Old 2nd April 2012, 12:48 AM
nonamedotc Offline
Community Manager

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badar Abbas View Post
I have downloaded corresponding rpm files from web and installed using yumex.
All the listed programs are available in the repository. You can use yum to install them. This would make your life a lot easier.

Alternatively, you can download an image from the web and put that image in the /usr/share/icons/gnome and edit the corresponding *.desktop file in the /usr/share/applications folder.

The easier way (if you can get it to work) is to install alacarte and then change the icons as needed. Follow the instructions in this forum to get alacarte to work.

Hope this helps.

Tags
fedora 16, icons, program