Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 2nd April 2012, 06:49 AM
exabytes18 Offline

windows_7chrome
Network keeps connecting and disconnecting - F16 - 3.3.0

What:
Every 35-40 seconds, the network stops working and a message pops up at the bottom of my screen with "Connection failed Activation of network connection failed." This message appears for about 5 seconds and then disappears; the network reconnects. This repeats indefinitely.

When:
Started with yum update which upgraded kernel to 3.3.0-4... problem persists with kernel 3.3.0-8. The previous known working kernel is 3.2.10-3.

Hardware:
HP z600, connected to network via gigE. The network is fine; everything works when I boot with 3.2.10-3.

Naturally, I'd like to keep my kernel up to date, but I simply cannot tolerate a broken network driver. What do I do?

- Matt
Old 11th April 2012, 12:23 AM
exabytes18 Offline

linuxchrome
Re: Network keeps connecting and disconnecting - F16 - 3.3.0

There are plenty of reports of similar issues on redhat's bug tracker. From crawling around their site, it seems that it's an IPv6 related issue. As such, disabling IPv6 support fixes this (tested only on latest kernel 3.3.1, which was otherwise still broken).

Tags
connecting, disconnecting, f16, network