Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 2nd April 2012, 07:58 PM
cotton213 Offline

linuxfirefox
nfsd spikes when remote mount

We are installing Fedora 16 on our office workstations (up from F12). We are not using NFSv4 (although I can't seem to make the nfsd4 process go away). We export filesystems in the usual way with /etc/exports, but when an older system (an F12, Slackware, RHEL) mounts this filesystem and tries to do anything with the files there, the number of nfsd process on the server (the F16 system) doubles or triples and the CPU usages spike to as high as 50% per process. This renders the mount unusable, and the server itself unusable.

The only workaround that I can find is to specify udp for the protocol when mounting. Any idea why this is? It's not a good workaround. If I must do something like this, I'd prefer to set something on the server rather that on 100 potential clients.

Any insight would be appreciated.
Old 2nd April 2012, 09:00 PM
jpollard Online

linuxfirefox
Re: nfsd spikes when remote mount

The NFS processes are part of the kernel. They are not user level processes. The NFSv4 process falls back to v3 (or v2) when the protocol is v3/2 specific.

If you have 100 clients you will want about 64 server processes (past experience). The default of 8 causes a REAL performance problem for high loads. (/etc/sysconfig/nfs). The parameter there is RPCNFSDCOUNT.

The actual number you want depends on how many concurrent accesses you want to support. The default of 8 works for 8-16 simultaneous use... but on an 8 core server, 64 should work better. Part of the problem is that the buffers used by client communications saturate the 8 real quick... more actually reduces the CPU load by eliminating some process thrashing (causing even more load). For average access (not a simultaneous mount from all systems at once) 32 should do reasonably well.

Oh, and you can disable the tcp use in that file too (--no-tcp option to nfsd in the RPCNFSDARGS parameter value). Once set it does take a reboot to get put in the kernel and verified.

I don't know your hardware (cpu/memory/network/disk) structure so testing is needed to tune NFS appropriately.

My background on this was tuning NFS for 16TB backup device copying files to it from a NAS. The NFS server was a Suse system from SGI. Until I upped the RPCNFSDCOUNT parameter it would take many hours (over 10) to scan the filesystem (50 million files). After upping it to 64 things went down to 45 minutes.

BTW, I don't recommend using F16 for a production server. There are just too many things that don't work as expected.

Last edited by jpollard; 2nd April 2012 at 09:02 PM.
Old 2nd April 2012, 10:05 PM
cotton213 Offline

linuxfirefox

Thanks so much for your quick reply. I will try manipulating the RPCNFSDCOUNT and see what that gets me. To clarify a bit more, the Fedora 16 system is just a workstation. The engineers export subversion workspaces so that they can be accessed by build computers. We never have a bunch of build systems accessing the export at once, but any one or two build computers out of a dozen or more will access the export at any given time.

We never had a problem with this until F16. The engineer's build gets about 10 minutes in and then suddenly the nfsd processes multiply and spike -- freezing both computers.

I can reproduce this by doing a "find" or something on these mounted files. F16 to F16 communication seems to work ok (doesn't hang either computer).

Thanks again -- your hints may help me with my insanely long backup problems, too.
Old 3rd April 2012, 08:00 PM
jpollard Online

linuxfirefox

Just a follow on -

If you think about it, each file access takes an NFSD to process it. This is why finds saturate so fast. It also depends on what the find is doing - just identifying files by name pattern is not so bad, but a find based on date causes each file inode to be accessed, that that takes another for each inode... Then there are the cache manipulations involved on the server after returning the data...

I'm not sure why the nfsd processes multiply.. unless there is some overload feature I hadn't run into before. Maybe there is another limit (something like a maxnfsd count).

I do understand that a build could acess a lot of files relatively quickly (and possibly in parallel too) and that would lock the thing up.

BTW, the client locks should be interruptable (unless a non-interupptable option is used), allowing them to continue, though that would abort any builds going on.

Tags
mount, nfsd, remote, spikes