Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 11th April 2012, 02:41 AM
foampile Offline

linuxfirefox
Question LiveUSB creator reporting error using Fedora-16-x86_64-DVD.iso

i am using liveusb creator 3.11.6. i am already on F16 but i wanna rebuild it for system audit and imaging purposes.

i am trying to use Fedora-16-x86_64-DVD.iso that i got from here.

i verified the checksum positively.

however, the usb creator reported an error saying it is not a valid live CD...

i can't remember how i did it first time around (and because i didn't document the steps is why i'm doing it all over so i can document them and be able to routinely install it on other machines).

do i not have the right live CD, i.e. do i need a different ISO?

thanks
Old 11th April 2012, 03:43 AM
DBelton Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox
Re: LiveUSB creator reporting error using Fedora-16-x86_64-DVD.iso

the Fedora install DVD is not a valid live cd image, and you can't create a livecd from it. You need to download the livecd image, not the dvd.

go here:

http://fedoraproject.org/en/get-fedora-options

and download the Fedora 16 desktop edition. (If you wish the Gnome version)

You can also get it here:

http://mirror.cpsc.ucalgary.ca/mirro...6/Live/x86_64/
Old 11th April 2012, 05:23 AM
foampile Offline

linuxfirefox

i'm trying to install it off of USB ... not run it from it

---------- Post added at 03:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:30 AM ----------

i am confident that when i installed the current instance, i used the ISO

---------- Post added at 03:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:32 AM ----------

this is what was different.

when i first did it, i did it on a MSFT OS. but the version of liveusb creator was identical. and the input ISO was identical. on MSFT, it extracted it onto the USB device, bootable and installable but it wouldn't do the same on F16 itself

DUH !!

---------- Post added at 03:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:38 AM ----------

it looks like the MSFT distro of LiveUSB creator is, unlike the Fedora one, smart enough to make a bootable install USB out of a regular DVD ISO

---------- Post added at 04:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:54 AM ----------

however, i would like to be able to do the same thing i'm doing on MSFT on Fedora since i want to get rid of MSFT altogether. it's a separate laptop anyway.

is anyone familiar how to make a bootable install USB out of a DVD ISO on Fedora using the LIve USB maker or anything else?

---------- Post added at 04:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:16 AM ----------

go here

scroll down to How to Make a bootable USB Drive to Install Fedora instead of using a physical DVD

Old 11th April 2012, 06:23 AM
DBelton Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox

if you wan to put the install DVD on a USB drive, then use livecd-tools instead of livecd-creator.

install livecd-tools and then run livecd-iso-to-disk
man livecd-iso-to-disk will tell you what you need to know to run it.
Old 11th April 2012, 06:35 AM
foampile Offline

linuxfirefox

yes, my last post lays that out basically.

the confusion came because when i first did it on MSFT, the LiveUSB creator bundled that functionality as well, in other words it was smart enough to make an install USB out of an install DVD ISO. the F16 distro of the same exact app version threw me an error.

thanks anyway.

Tags
creator, error, fedora16x8664dvdiso, iso, liveusb, liveusb creator, reporting