Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 11th April 2012, 07:42 PM
axel2078 Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox
need help to edit grub2

Does anyone know what file to modify for grub2 and what parameter to use so that instead of getting the graphical boot, you get the console messages while it's booting? I think in the old grub, you just removed the rhsg_quiet option, but I don't know how to do this with grub2.
Old 11th April 2012, 07:56 PM
Dan Offline
Administrator

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: need help to edit grub2

http://ubuntuone.com/2EslXTLj5s2zzbeYKx17wJ

Towheedm has written what might be considered the definitive work on Grub2. See the link.
Old 11th April 2012, 08:06 PM
PabloTwo Offline
"Registered User" T-Shirt Winner

linuxchrome

You don't need to edit grub2 for this. Instead, you could use this method:
Code:
su
plymouth-set-default-theme details --rebuild-initrd
Old 11th April 2012, 08:12 PM
axel2078 Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by PabloTwo View Post
You don't need to edit grub2 for this. Instead, you could use this method:
Code:
su
plymouth-set-default-theme details --rebuild-initrd
What exactly is this doing?
Old 11th April 2012, 08:31 PM
PabloTwo Offline
"Registered User" T-Shirt Winner

linuxchrome

Quote:
What exactly is this doing?
When you boot up in graphical mode, Plymouth is responsible for presenting "filling Fedora bubble" gui screen during the boot process. You can see the "text" version of this while this is happening simply by pressing the ESC key during that segment of the bootup process.

The "filling Fedora bubble" is Plymouth's "charge" theme. With the command I gave, you are fisrt, changing to root user using the "su" command, then changing the plymouth theme from "charge" to "details". The details themes is a non-gui console theme (actually no theme at all, just the console display) that shows you all the text output to the console that would also appear in your boot.log file.

The "--rebuild-initrd" part of this command causes a rebuild of the /boot/initrd-plymouth.img file. I use the "details" theme on my desktop pc. I prefer seeing the boot up messages rather than a somewhat boring bubble/balloon/logo filling up that is acting as nothing more than a progress bar.
Code:
BASH:~/-> plymouth-set-default-theme --list
charge
details
text
There are other plymouth themes in the repos.... "yum list plymouth-theme*"

---------- Post added at 03:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:23 PM ----------

Note: You do not need to remove either the "quiet" or "rhgb" entries in your grub[2] boot line for this to work.

Last edited by PabloTwo; 12th April 2012 at 12:22 AM.
Old 11th April 2012, 08:54 PM
axel2078 Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox

PabloTwo, thank you for the great information. The only reason I'm even interested in doing this is because my on board graphics (hybrid Intel and Nvidia Optimus) seems to sometimes cause problems with nouveau during the boot. Sometimes the boot will take me to the graphical lock screen (my system is encrypted) and then it will show me the Fedora bubble while it continues to load. Other times, after the "loading initial ram disk" screen, I will get some nouveau errors and the boot seems to stop, but if I press the ESC key, I see where I'm being prompted to enter my password to unlock the encryption. After that, it continues with the text boot until the desktop loads. It's just kind of annoying to have flaky behavior like this.

Tags
edit, grub2