I'm building a server on a laptop that runs fedora. It is part of my home network. At some point I'm going to get colocation services - that is - I'm going to buy my own production hardware, buy hosting services that require that I maintain my own website. I know I will have to transfer the files from the laptop to the production server.
I don't know how to do this. I'm asking for someone to explain it to me. This is how I think it goes:
1) Buy the hardware
2) Physically connect it to my home network.
3) Use the network to install the operating system.
4) Mail the server to the co location host.
5) Create an ssh key pair on my local laptop
6) Log into the production server after it arrives at the co location host.
7) Log into it with an ssh password long enough to send the public key to it.
8) Log in with the private key
9) Secure copy the server files to it.
How do I use ssh to transfer the files. Do I just ssh the root file to the server? Do I ssh /?