Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 14th April 2012, 11:40 PM
Hammerhead V Offline

windows_xp_2003opera
Ethernet can't connect in Fedora 16 x86_64

Hey everyone,

I can't connect to the internet with an ethernet connection in Fedora 16. I used to be able to, but recently had to reinstall Fedora 16 and now my ethernet connection doesn't work. It is currently working in Windows XP, so the actual connection seems to be fine.

I tried disabling the firewall and recreating the ethernet connection through NetworkManager, but that didn't work. I tried searching the forums, but couldn't find a thread that helped.

I am able to get on wireless on both Fedora and Windows if this helps any.

If it helps I have an Intel 82566MM as my ethernet network card.

Thanks to anyone that can help.
Old 15th April 2012, 12:18 AM
Penguinclaw Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: Ethernet can't connect in Fedora 16 x86_64

Hi, it seems that your hardware is okay as it works in xp and worked previously with Fedora. Just a thought but have you tried booting from a live disk? If this works then it may be the installation that has gone wrong during the hardware configuration stage. Do the settings in Network Management settings look sensible? ie connect automatically, auto DHCP... Also it maybe worth booting into windows and checking the settings there to see if it throws any light on your predicament.

Hope this gives a few pointers to start you off.
Old 15th April 2012, 12:28 AM
Hammerhead V Offline

windows_xp_2003opera
Re: Ethernet can't connect in Fedora 16 x86_64

The settings in Fedora seemed normal, and seems to match up with Windows.
I will try the live cd and reply back once I download one and try it out. Thanks.

Edit:
It seems that the live cd didn't like my ethernet connection either. Which, as far as I can tell, eliminates an update causing incompatibility. Now I can't think of what to do next, and would appreciate any more help.

Last edited by Hammerhead V; 15th April 2012 at 01:56 AM.

Tags
connect, ethernet, fedora, x8664