Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Community Lounge > Reviews, Rants & Things That Make You Scream
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Reviews, Rants & Things That Make You Scream The place for you to submit reviews of all those applications you use with Fedora. The Devs probably aren't listening, but some times you've just GOT to blow off steam or sing its praises.

Closed Thread

Old 16th April 2012, 10:48 PM
gregfr Offline

linuxchrome
Unhappy Fedora 16: the begining of the end?

I've been a redhat/fedora user for more than 10 years.

The last few years, I've started to worry a lot about the way fedora is evolving.

Last week, my computer died. I brought a new one and installed F16. Outch.

Five days later I can write a post here. Let's hope I can finish it before the next crash.

I must say it's the most awful system I've ever tried since windoz ME.

I cannot even ask for help because the problems are legion, it took me a whole day just to see the login screen for the first time. It's so unstable it just crashed when I try to set the clock...

Right now I'm seriously considering installing windoz. I would have laughed if someone would have told me that only a week ago.

I'm using my computer for work. I wasted a whole week trying to set up F16. With 10 years experience in system administration and access to the internet on another computer (a windoz laptop). I couldn't have only started the kernel without it because the video driver is crashing at the very start. I just can imagine what a "regular" user would say: "linux sucks".

So now I have two options: moving to another linux distro and waste a lot of time learning what I know on fedora, or moving to windoz....

What do you think I should do?
Old 16th April 2012, 11:03 PM
Dan Online
Administrator

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: Fedora 16: the begining of the end?

Moved to Rants and Raves.

I think that in a mission-critical environment, like a work production machine, just about any other distro would be a better choice than fedora. The best choice which comes to mind is RHEL (RedHat Enterprise). Barring that, Scientific or CentOS are good options.

As much as we all love it, fedora just is what it is. Here's where the innovation happens, and that can be a messy process. If you want Plug-n-play out-of-the-box stability, I highly recommend LinuxMINT.

That being said, it's been a bit of a hairy weekend for a lot of fedora users, so don't feel all alone.
Old 17th April 2012, 01:11 AM
diamond_ramsey Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregfr View Post
I've been a redhat/fedora user for more than 10 years.

The last few years, I've started to worry a lot about the way fedora is evolving.

Last week, my computer died. I brought a new one and installed F16. Outch...What do you think I should do?
* Before Fedora 16, what operating system(s) were you using?

* What do you want to use your system for specifically purpose as well as applications?

* Have you considered the Fedora 15 version or a lighter variant of Fedora 16 such as LXDE?

I think as Dan suggests may be CentOS or another variant of Red Hat may be to your advantage, but depends on the above questions' answers.
2 dual cores, 11 GB RAM, F21 TBD - 3.16.0-0.rc7.git1.1.fc21.x86_64 / i686
80 x86_64 computing cores, 144 GB RAM & 8 SATA Seagate 7200.12 500 GB harddisks
Old 17th April 2012, 02:40 AM
jpollard Online

linuxfirefox

Also note - even new hardware can have faulty parts.

You can always try an older system. Try F14 just to see what happens.

Try running memtest for a while.
Old 17th April 2012, 04:02 PM
pete_1967 Online
Clueless in a Cuckooland

linuxfirefox

Beginning of the end, or the end of the beginning? That is the question.

“Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime” so now go and...
RTFM FIRST: http://docs.fedoraproject.org/ & http://rute.2038bug.com/index.html.gz
Old 17th April 2012, 04:10 PM
sea Offline
"Shells" (of a sub world)

linuxfedorafirefox

All i say is Bet-a-fedora
For anything more important has already been said.
Old 17th April 2012, 04:24 PM
bob Online
Administrator (yeah, back again)

Location: Colton, NY; Junction of Heaven & Earth (also Routes 56 & 68).
linuxfirefox

Fedora 16's rock-solid on my 6-month old machine, but there are many others who are having "issues" although you seem to have an extreme case of glitchies! I'd echo Dan's advice of trying CentOS if you're used to RPM distros. If that's a bork, then it's time to see about your warranty!

Mint's one of the top distros and certainly worth a look, but it may be a little too Candyland for someone who's in your position.
Registered Linux User #362651

Don't use any of my solutions on working computers or near small children.
Old 17th April 2012, 06:08 PM
jpollard Online

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete_1967 View Post
Beginning of the end, or the end of the beginning? That is the question.
More likely the end of a phase.

As to whether the new phase is a terminal one or not remains to be seen.
Old 18th April 2012, 05:31 AM
Thetargos Online

Fedora can be a mess to set up. Just the other weekend I tried to get it installed onto my net book (an HP mini), and it all seemed good, except I kept having SELinux warnings all over the place, mainly due to the screen's .icc profile not getting the appropriate tags on it.

What I've sadly watched happen in fedora is that it had been increasingly problematic to simply upgrade keeping your data, like me, for instance, in a separate /home partition. Ever since fedora moved to LVM and an (IMVHO) idiotic file system layout, I install it the way I always installed Red Hat: three separate main partitions, and one extended, the first three would be /boot, / & swap, and the extended one would be /home, so I could easily keep my data among upgrades. It worked pretty well until the more recent releases starting with Goddard.

I've also been around fedora since yarrow (and used every release), and before that since Red Hat 5.2, and have come to accept it's changing and morphing nature. I stick to it out of pure masochism, but I certainly do not recommend it to any non-technical user or a user who needs more than 12 months of support. I, like you, know my way around in fedora, but when a "simple" couple-of-hours-max setup process takes you more than three, you start to worry, before your pride takes the better of you...

FedoraForum Community forums lurker.
Fedora user since RHL 5.2 :cool:

Systems: Laptop, Main System, Netbook.
Old 18th April 2012, 08:00 AM
coozoo Offline

linuxopera

Don't touch WinDos ME it's a good system (comparely to 98 ) it was alive almost one year on my old PC while 98 could work only for a few months ))))

Some long time ago I have RH9 it works fine for one year and at one perfect moment it starts to generate strange weird things (something like a bugs ). And wrong thoughts was in my mind "damn linux". And remember my friend I was wrong, few months later my HD... R.I.P. (but windows system that was in parallel was able to work till full fault)
Why I tell you that. Linux is smart, we just need to learn to hear it when it cries.

From my experience almost all failures related to hardware issues. Sure when I bought my lap and installed fedora 12 inside I have one problem small (kernel-panic with enabling wifi - I'm sure it was only for my broadcom and few other cards) it was dissapeared with the few next kernel updates. Another issue it was sleep mode with kernel panic after update to fedora 13 and again the same issue was gone . belive me I remeber what does it mean configure and install new kernel - I pprefere update with yum
So irrelevant which distro in your hands, all linux the same, every distro used the same kernels and the same bugs will appeared, impossible to check each any hardware.

So fedora just a headquarter of your invasions. Customize your own headquarter.

PS. Don't use ubuntu I hate their attempt to "disable" root

---------- Post added at 10:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:16 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thetargos View Post
Ever since fedora moved to LVM and an (IMVHO) idiotic file system layout
oh I'm agree with yours IMHO, some plus what I can see it's a some security issues which irrelevant for me, I prefer usual structure it easy to recover from another system in some accidence
Old 18th April 2012, 10:47 PM
RupertPupkin Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregfr View Post
most awful system I've ever tried since windoz ME.
I'm seriously considering installing windoz.
a windoz laptop
or moving to windoz
What do you think I should do?
For starters, I think you should stop saying "windoz".
OS: Fedora 20 x86_64 | Machine: HP Pavilion a6130n | CPU: AMD 64 X2 Dual-Core 5000+ 2.6GHz | RAM: 5GB PC5300 DDR2 | Disk: 400GB SATA | Video: ATI Radeon HD 4350 512MB | Sound: Realtek ALC888S | Ethernet: Realtek RTL8201N
Old 19th April 2012, 05:51 PM
deanej Offline

linuxchrome

I remember when I upgraded my desktop to Fedora 16 about a month ago. Took two hours to get Grub installed properly after Fedora was installed. Still much less setup time than Windows once the patching is factored in.
Old 19th April 2012, 06:33 PM
satanselbow Offline

linuxchrome
Wink Re: Fedora 16: the begining of the end?

You make no mention of the hardware you purchased... you make no mention of which version of RHEL/Fedora you were using previously... Going from on FC5 on a K6 to F16 on an i7 would be a bit of a culture shock I concur

F16 is solid as any other distro IMHO - on carefully selected linux friendly hardware which is only slightly harder to find than carefully selected windows friendly hardware...

What is this "windoz"? A new distro i've not tried yet?
Old 19th April 2012, 06:36 PM
PiElle Offline

linuxfirefox

I installed F16 when it was released and didn't have particular problems.
Anyway, if you need a more stable distro, my advice is to try Opensuse 12.1 or the next Mageia (2), to be released in May ...
Old 19th April 2012, 10:37 PM
ltpwrusr Offline

linuxfirefox

I installed fc16 64bit on a brand new Dell Inspiron i7 laptop with 8GB Ram. I use a second monitor, 22", along with the 17" laptop display. It installed very fast and very smooth. Two monitor mode works great for my web development. I standardized my company on fc5, then fc8 (including fc8 64bit), then moved a few systems to fc14 before I installed this laptop on fc16 64bit. Only problem I have had was that I only partitioned it with a 100M /boot and it should have been 200M or better due to the fact that Yum is keeping 3 versions of the kernel by default. That problem was solved by lowering the number of kernel versions kept to 2. Next install will have a 500M /boot partition. Everything else has been perfect. Speed is beyond my imagination.

Before standardizing on FC8 years ago, I tried Ubuntu but was annoyed by it trying to control my options too much. A few months ago, I tried CentOS installs on a couple of systems before going back to Fedora and liked CentOS except that none of the systems could not print PDF files correctly under any PDF reader programs. Printing PDFs is critical to my business because we use webERP which creates POs and Invoices as PDF files. I also installed a KDE Ubuntu version "Kubuntu" on a PC to test it 3 months ago. Works great but they did not have a 64bit version available to install so that was out of the question for my i7 laptop.

I feel that fc16 is anything but the end of Fedora. We are moving all of our systems to Fedora FC16 based upon my tests of competing distros. Windows, are you kidding? Dell's recovery disk for Win7 didn't work at all. Microsoft is a criminal entity and they do not deserve business from anybody. Besides we moved to Linux a decade ago because of attacks on Windows. We have not had problems since. The uptime improvement is why we are still in business even through the Recession.
Closed Thread

Tags
begining, end, fedora