Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 18th April 2012, 02:37 PM
rich52 Offline

windows_xp_2003ie
Fedora 17 KDE beta install

Tried out the live KDE x86_64 CD last night and it works fine. I've presently got F16 with Nvidia drivers installed and the latest kernel. Is the trouble worth the effort to install the beta and get Nvidia working? I don't see any links to Nvidia drivers (i.e. rpmfusion free and nonfree for F17). So is there an easy way to install the last kmod-nvidia module into the kernel or is this more trouble than it's worth and just wait for the full-blown KDE F17 release to come out? I'm always interested in using the newest software packages (i.e. Gimp 2.8 etc., etc. etc ) .

Any idea's, thoughts and suggestions appreciated.

Rich
Old 18th April 2012, 04:00 PM
secipolla Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: Fedora 17 KDE beta install

It should work just like for F16 with akmod, the packages are all there.
I'm using it and have updated kernels about three times already with no issue (plus the driver itself was updated from 295.33 to 295.40).
First time I installed it I had a little glitch with xorg.conf but I think it was something specific to my set-up (and it was the first time I used it).

That regarding the drivers, as for the rest, I can't tell.
Old 25th April 2012, 05:16 PM
xlnt01 Offline

linuxubuntufirefox
Re: Fedora 17 KDE beta install

Does any one else have trouble with KDE and nvidia using OpenGL for desktop effects?

When I switch composition type to OpenGL in system settings my screen gets dissorted and upside down???
Using XRender works though but the performance using XRender is quite bad compare to OpenGL.

Tags
beta, fedora, install, kde