Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 23rd April 2012, 02:16 AM
fuzz2012 Offline

windows_vistachrome
Seeking Solution(s) Toward Data Recovery

Forum Members,

I can not download to an E drive disk anything from any of your websites, or any FEDORA websites. Either I get a message that the file or volume can not be found, or the volume does not contain a recognized file system. Can it be that ALL of those files and volumes corrupted?

I want to download a LINUX BOOT DISK, PRE-MADE and ready to go, that will also operate on Windows 7 64 bit Op System of a VAIO - VPCEG model - laptop; in order to boot up the data recovery or data backup function, before sending it to Sony Repair Center in Loredo, Texas where it is still under warranty. For privacy concerns all personal data will be erased before the shipment.

I will pay up to $150 for the DVD software, if it is not available for free. Regular data recovery software that was downloaded did not work. Windows data recovery software most likely will not work. A computer instructor advised that I go around the problematic Windows OS using Linux, which took him 6 hours to create. Making one is NOT an option for me.

I have brand new recovery disks, set of 7, from Sony and a flash drive that has the same information which I got from the computer itself. The ASSIST button is worthless. And nothing will boot up the system. F1, F2, F3, F8, F10 work up to a point then revert back to original:

I/O error 0xc00000e9 being caused by unplugging ext. storage device while in use
(that was not the case), or faulty hardware or CD-ROM that is failing.

The last things before the problem was the icons on the desktop moving around on their own and then the power was turned off. That is it. The optical disk appears to be reading data, the extended memory test (F3) succeeded, the boot priority (F2) is correct. However, No way can I get to F11 or the recovery page. I do have access to another computer with internet access.

April 22, 2012 fuzz2012
pfemploy@yahoo.com
Old 23rd April 2012, 10:23 AM
hieronymous Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: Seeking Solution(s) Toward Data Recovery

Hi

It's hard to tell what you are asking for from what you have written, but it sounds like you have a non-functioning windows OS from which you would like to recover data, using a linux recovery tool.

You say you cannot download to E drive from Fedora - E drive is windows terminology, and windows doesn't recognise any other operating system. You should, however, be able to download files of any description, as long as you don't expect to run them from windows. If you download a linux boot disk ( an .iso file) you will need to burn this to a DVD, then use the DVD to boot the PC.

A suitable linux tool that may help is SystemRescueCD http://sysresccd.org/Main_Page

Last edited by hieronymous; 23rd April 2012 at 10:26 AM. Reason: typos
Old 29th April 2012, 06:44 AM
fuzz2012 Offline

windows_vistaavant

Thanks hieronymous,

I wanted a linux rescue dvd that would work on a sony computer running windows 7
because the windows os could not boot up the computer. I think I found one at the website you suggested x86 edit supporting 64 bit from the download page, but the SystemRescueCD did not work. I examined the contents of sysrcd-2.6.0, which was
stored on the dvd using CDFS file system, and found these issues which may indicate
why it did not work:

There are 9 folders and 1 HTML document.

Fedora DOCUMENTATION 11.6.3 says there is suppose to be a
directory sysimage, but could not find it after looking at sysrcd.md5.

bootdisk folder says it is empty.

Rescue64 of about 9.59 MB in the isolinux folder is invisible after opening it with notepad.

Bootprog folder has a file syslinux showing a size of 5.4 MB but attempting to open it up
results in a message saying it is empty.

Why is it so complicated to load a pre-made linux boot?

Maybe I should take a different approach; is there some test or some way that I could easily determine whether the hard drive, of the compter running windows 7, is readable.
At least then I would know if it would be worth it paying $99 to have the store tech
do a data recovery before just shipping it back to the factory.

fuzz2012
Old 29th April 2012, 07:54 AM
sonoran Offline

linuxfirefox

Download the GParted LiveCD iso, burn it to a cd, boot the cd and run the testdisk recovery program.
http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php

Another possibility is photorec: http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec
Old 29th April 2012, 08:11 AM
sidebrnz Offline

linuxfirefox

I think I see what part of your difficulty is: the files you're trying to open in Notepad are programs, not documents. Unlike Windows, Linux doesn't expect programs to end in .exe, or in any other particular extension. What you need to do is put that disc into the appropriate drive on the computer that's not booting, make sure that the computer's BIOS is set to boot from that drive and reboot. If all goes well, you'll be able to boot into Linux and be able to examine your hard drive and retrieve the data you need. If that doesn't work, let us know what does happen and we'll take it from there.
Registered Linux user #470359 and permanently recovered BOFH.

Any advice in this post is worth exactly what you paid for it.
Old 29th April 2012, 06:22 PM
fuzz2012 Offline

windows_vistaavant

sidebrnz,

I already know about boot priority (F2 on non working Sony VAIO computer).
I have tried every possible combination, depending on type of media the iso
file is to be loaded from. Nothing happens. I welcome any additional suggestions.

Fuzz2012

---------- Post added at 11:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:59 AM ----------

Sonoran,

I am downloading both the lastest GPatrted iso file and its testing version to Documents.
When downloading has completed, should I put both of them on the same ?

fuzz2012

---------- Post added at 12:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:07 AM ----------

Amybody,

The gparted-live-0.1.2.1 worked up to a point. Clicking on the recovery file or partition
resulted in yellow warning triangle and these messages:

I/O error could not get $Bitmap $DATA

missing software package

some operations are unavailable

This file is required ntfsprogs / ntfs-3g

What should I do to resume recovery??????

fuzz2012
Old 29th April 2012, 06:27 PM
AndrewSerk Offline

linuxfirefox

Since gparted live is based on Debian you should be able to install the ntfs-3g package with something like:
Code:
sudo apt-get install ntfs-3g ntfsprogs
Hope this helps,
Old 29th April 2012, 06:35 PM
fuzz2012 Offline

windows_vistaavant

Anybody,

Additional error messages:

(multiple) Cluster accounting failed at....

device name :/dev/sda1

Unable to read contents of this file system because
some operations are unavailable.

fuzz2012
Old 29th April 2012, 06:53 PM
sidebrnz Offline

linuxfirefox

Sounds to me like you've got a bad hard disk.

Old 29th April 2012, 07:04 PM
fuzz2012 Offline

windows_vistaavant

AndrewSerk,

Where do I enter the code????? I can not bring up command prompt window unless
there is a shortcut key that works.

Currently, the program is doing a very long and very slow search for files
(to recover or backup).

fuzz2012
Old 29th April 2012, 07:26 PM
AndrewSerk Offline

linuxfirefox

Hi fuzz2012,

Google is can be your friend http://gparted.org/display-doc.php?n...erminal-window If that's no good you could try Ctrl + Alt + F2

I haven't used gparted livecd but just knew it was based on Debian. I have only run testdisk from RHEL type linux like Fedora.
Old 29th April 2012, 08:00 PM
sidebrnz Offline

linuxfirefox

As long as it's working, there's still hope. Don't worry about trying to add new software to your recovery system unless it turns out that you have to. (Remember, you're not making any changes to what's on the CD, so if you use it on another system, you might have to do it again.) Just make sure you've got something available to put whatever you recover on and try not to be too disappointed if you've lost something. Good luck, and I hope your hard disk isn't completely toast.

Old 30th April 2012, 08:24 AM
fuzz2012 Offline

windows_vistaavant

AndrewSerk,

I found the command prompt windown and used the code you suggested with
these results:
ntfs-3g replaces ntfsprogrogs
ntfs-3g is already the latest
ntfs-3g can not be found, is not in the directory.

Any suggestions?

Should I choose the standard and default options?
the gparted - live - 0.1.2.1 requires questions to be answered. How do I know
the right choices? or what are the correct choices to go directly to
data recovery function on the non-working VAIO computer?

fuzz2012
Old 30th April 2012, 03:36 PM
george_toolan Offline

linuxfirefox

You can't mount the partition, because your drive seems to be broken.

Does gparted have smartctl?

Code:
smartctl -a /dev/sda
Before you continue you should make a backup copy of the entire drive to an external drive with dd_rescue or any other drive imaging software which can handle broken disks.

After that you can send your computer back to the store to have the drive replaced.

All rescue attempfs for your data you can now make on the backup copies.

If you want to spend money there are commercial programs available like Ontrack EasyRecovery and similar programs.
Old 30th April 2012, 04:02 PM
AndrewSerk Offline

linuxfirefox

Hi fuzz2012,
I looked through the gparted livecd pages and ntfs-3g is supposed to be included with the gparted livecd so not sure why you where getting those errors regarding ntfs,,,, you shouldn't have to re-install it.

I have never used gparted livecd for data recovery.
I have used a fedora livecd for data recovery by installing testdisk and photorecord once I had booted the fedora livecd. I would then run testdisk from the livecd command line as root user with something like.
Code:
su -
testdisk
It has been a few years since I used test disk but I remember once i got testdisk running from the command line the steps that I needed to use where defined in the on screen options.

One of these other kind soles here at fedora forum may know the steps needed to use the gparted livecd data recovery modes but like I stated I have never used gparted livecd for data recover and could only make assumptions with regard to data recover from the gparted livecd.

Wish I was more help,

Andrew

Tags
data, downloading, pre-made, recovery, seeking, software, solutions