Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 29th April 2012, 03:11 AM
adramalech707 Offline

linuxchrome
Unhappy Problem with M11x R3 and F16

Okay so I have installed F16 x86_64, and I have an issue. I went through the http://forums.if-not-true-then-false...php?topic=31.0, bumblebee install, for the intel hd3000 + gt540m and when I disabled neuveau and then manually installed the new nvidia 290.40 whql stable.

The stupid Nvidia manual install I wasn't paying any attention and said yes and it wrote an xorg.conf. However, it didn't work as it said Screen 0 not found device not found. So right now I made it xorg.conf.old and deleted the xorg.conf file.

I ran Xorg -configure and merge the generated the xorg.conf.d files with the one found in my /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/ directory. It worked and everything booted up except I am running no graphics driver.... Because Gnome 3 goes into fallback mode.

(I would have posted URLs to paste bin but they are blocked and not allowed/limited. I then decided to post the logs and the config file but couldn't because of line limits....so if someone wants to hopefully help I would love it!)

I need help with figuring out how to add like a Nvidia xorg part in xorg.conf.d directory. I don't understand the numbering of the config files.
Old 29th April 2012, 04:51 PM
adramalech707 Offline

windows_7chrome
Re: Problem with M11x R3 and F16

Okay So I have gone through and fixed the Xorg.conf file and broke it up into different .conf files for xorg.conf.d however I still get the Screen not found for Nvidia device. Screen detected but not configured correctly....

Recently though after trial and error getting the config files correct I noticed that when I went to reboot to try and retest the newer settings the Intel dsm mux problem happens:

Quote:
Loading LInux 3.3.2-6.fc16.x86_64 ...
Loading initial ramdisk ...
[ 2.063989 [drm:intel_dsm_platform_mux_info ] *ERROR* MUX INFO call failed
It won't let me ctrl+alt+f* at all and have a delayed if at all response to rebooting with ctrl+alt+del and I have to delete rhgb flag on the grub entry for the 3.3.2-6 kernel to actually get it passed this. I then boot in and it get stuck with a verbose boot output and like three failed things.

I then ctrl+alt+f3 and login as root...

in the xorg.conf.d directory I have added

50-device.conf:
Quote:
Section "Device"
Identifier "Card1"
Driver "nvidia"
Vend0rName "NVIDIA Corporations"
BusID "PCI:1:0:0"
Screen 0
Option "DPMS"
EndSection
51-monitor.conf
Quote:
Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Monitor0"
VendorName "Monitor Vendor"
ModelName "Monitor Model"
DisplaySize 1366 768
HorizSync 28.0 - 33.0
VertRefresh 43.0 - 72.0
Option "DPMS"
52-screen.conf:
Quote:
Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen0"
Device "Card1"
Monitor "Monitor0"
DefaultDepth 24
Subsection "Display"
Viewport 0 0
Depth 24
Modes "1366x768"
EndSubSection
EndSection
Running startx with those and the defaulted other ones I get..
Quote:
(==) Using config directory: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d"
(==) Using system config directory "/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d"
(EE) NVIDIA(0): No display devices found for this X screen.
(EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.

Fatal server error:
no screens found
dmesg:
Quote:
[ 4.636956] nvidia: module license 'NVIDIA' taints kernel.
[ 4.636961] Disabling lock debugging due to kernel taint
it continues to boot with the bluetooth having alot of problems and failing to load and another driver with a firmware issue that the kernel said was mostly caused by a needed firmware update by vendor.

**UDPATE: 04/30/2012**

Okay so I went through this morning and I took the 50-device.conf, 51-monitor.conf, and 52-screen.conf and copied to *.conf.old files and then removed 50-device.conf and 52-screen.conf and it booted into gnome 3. I also tried enabling the 50-device.conf and it would screw up. I also tried the 52-screen.conf file and it also threw an error crashing Xorg-server 1.11. Therefore there is a problem with the 50-device.conf, the 52-screen.conf or both. I also noticed some Redhat Bugzilla reports about how there is an issue with Nvidia driver and detecting an internal screen like in a laptop....etc..

Last edited by adramalech707; 30th April 2012 at 08:45 PM.
Old 1st May 2012, 10:32 PM
adramalech707 Offline

linuxchrome
Re: Problem with M11x R3 and F16

Found this and maybe it will help me maybe not but sure looks like my issue...

http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree8...E/optimus.html
Quote:
Some laptops with NVIDIA GPUs make use of Optimus technology to allow switching between an integrated GPU and a discrete NVIDIA GPU. The NVIDIA Linux driver can be used on these systems, though functionality may be limited.

Installing the NVIDIA Driver on an Optimus Laptop

The driver may be installed normally on Optimus systems, but the NVIDIA X driver and the NVIDIA OpenGL driver may not be able to display to the laptop's internal display panel unless a means to connect the panel to the NVIDIA GPU (for example, a hardware multiplexer, or "mux", often controllable by a BIOS setting) is available. On systems without a mux, the NVIDIA GPU can still be useful for offscreen rendering, running CUDA applications, and other uses that don't require driving a display.

On muxless Optimus laptops, or on laptops where a mux is present, but not set to drive the internal display from the NVIDIA GPU, the internal display is driven by the integrated GPU. On these systems, it's important that the X server not be configured to use the NVIDIA X driver after the driver is installed. Instead, the correct driver for the integrated GPU should be used. Often, this can be determined automatically by the X server, and no explicit configuration is required, especially on newer X server versions. If your X server autoselects the NVIDIA X driver after installation, you may need to explicitly select the driver for your integrated GPU.

An additional caveat is that existing OpenGL libraries may be overwritten by the install process. If you want to prevent this from happening, e.g., if you intend to use OpenGL on the integrated GPU, you may prevent the installer from installing the OpenGL and GLX libraries by passing the option --no-opengl-files to the .run file, or directly to nvidia-installer, e.g.:

# NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-295.40.run --no-opengl-files
See Chapter 4, Installing the NVIDIA Driver for details on the driver install process.

Tags
f16, m11x, problem