Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 4th May 2012, 06:31 PM
tkalfaoglu Offline

macossafari
[SOLVED] asus eeepc rescue mode just hosed my laptop

I had win 7 and fedora installed on my laptop. Evet since my install of fedora 17 I had a menu entry that said windows sda1 rescue or something. Today I apparently selected that. It waited saying initializing, which I eventually stopped by rebooting. I got grub rescue prompt. Booting from live cd I saw that a partition, my everything, missing. I did an fdisk n and added a partition at the end but its format is not liked by fsck.
I'm very depressed now. Did I lose all my data?

SOLVED:
I first deleted the partition I had re-created, using fdisk..
Then, I booted from USB, Fedora live 16, then downloaded testdisk to it. I ran testdisk, chose Analyse, and Long analysis. It ran for over an hour. Then it displayed deleted partitions found on disk. I went over the one that said Linux, then left-right arrow until it said primary. I then saved and exited. Upon reboot, there were two partitions on the disk: My Linux, and swap..

The Windows 7 is now hosed - but good riddance, I can just reinstall (XP instead of 7) for a performance gain and space savings..

Last edited by tkalfaoglu; 4th May 2012 at 09:42 PM. Reason: Solved
Old 5th May 2012, 05:49 PM
george_toolan Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: asus eeepc rescue mode just hosed my laptop

This was probably the recovery partition from the manufacturer which is used to reset the hdd to factory defaults after you break your windows.
Old 6th May 2012, 10:17 AM
tkalfaoglu Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: asus eeepc rescue mode just hosed my laptop

Exactly. It "reshaped" the laptop to its liking.. The laptop recovery partitions stink.. I'm glad the disk test tool deleted it

Tags
asus, eeepc, hosed, laptop, mode, rescue