Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 11th May 2012, 10:10 AM
pligdas Offline

linuxfirefox
Change the color of login screen in f16

Hi,
I have a question about the looks of the login screen in Fedora 16. I hate to sound tacky, but I happen to find the default theme cheap and corny and the first thing I do after installation is to change it. I go where the verne background is loaded (/usr/share/backgrounds/verne/default/verne.xml) and edit it accordingly.

My question is the following : if I select no image in verne.xml, a blue screen (#0000ff ?) fills the screen by default. Is there a way of changing the color, to say, green or anything? I don't want to load an image to do this.

Thanks to all who try to answer my question,

- Pascal

Last edited by pligdas; 12th May 2012 at 09:42 AM.
Old 11th May 2012, 08:34 PM
RupertPupkin Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: Change the color of login screen in f16

You could try using xsetroot, which is part of the xorg-x11-server-utils package.
Old 11th May 2012, 08:51 PM
Dan Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox

Try poking around in the /usr/share/gnome-shell/theme/gdm.css and gnome-shell.css files. BUT! Make backups first! And be aware that you may need to boot into console (runlevel3) mode to recover them if needed.

EDIT:

This method might prove a bit easier.

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=279492
Old 12th May 2012, 10:43 AM
pligdas Offline

linuxfirefox

Thank you for the tip. I'm a little worried about my personal settings. I see it has an option -def that can be used to restore the default attributes. Also the documentation is limited.

- Pascal

---------- Post added 12th May 2012 at 11:17 AM ---------- Previous post was 11th May 2012 at 11:22 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by RupertPupkin View Post
You could try using xsetroot, which is part of the xorg-x11-server-utils package.
Thanks! This was exactly what I was looking for. Here's what I did : in https://git.reviewboard.kde.org/r/103055/ I discovered where xsetroot is called by /usr/bin/startkde and changed
Code:
xsetroot -solid "#103D77"
to
Code:
xsetroot -solid "#043824"
Talk about a stickler for details.

Thanks for this wonderful forum!

- Pascal

---------- Post added at 12:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:17 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
This method might prove a bit easier.

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=279492
Many thanks!! This answers accurately my initial request about changing the login background when no image is selected. The default background, a blueish solid color, is different from the blue color set in startkde that flashes for a few tenths of a sec after starting KDE and before any splash screen is displayed. So, in fact both answers are needed for a smooth transition from the login screen to the KDE desktop, if you select no background image. Note that, with the gnome environment there is no blue flash at login, apparently because no call to xsetroot is performed.

- Pascal

Last edited by pligdas; 12th May 2012 at 11:00 AM.

Tags
change, color, f16, login, screen