Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 13th May 2012, 02:58 PM
smr54 Offline

linuxchrome
Ads

I just came to the forum from a new computer, and googling something wound up on the forum.

Now I realize that you only see the ads if you're not logged in--I remember at some point, Leigh deciding that if you had adblock on, you couldn't search, I don't know if that's still true, I haven't done anything with this machine.

However, the ads seem to be showing up in the posts, rather than at top of page.

First post, HUGE picture ad for hivelocity

Second post

3 Links, including one for SCO.

Then, the rest are fine, which is what makes me think it might be a configuration error.
Old 13th May 2012, 03:04 PM
glennzo Online
Un-Retired Administrator

linuxfirefox
Re: Ads

I have, and have always had adblock on and seem to be able to search without issue. Or do you mean that if you're not registered AND have adblock on you can't search?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Laptop: Toshiba Satellite / Intel Core 2 Duo 1.73 GHz / 2GB / 160GB / Intel Mobile 945GM/GMS/GME/943/940GML Integrated Graphics
Desktop: BioStar MCP6PB M2+ / AMD Phenom 9750 Quad Core / 4GB / 1TB SATA / 500GB SATA / EVGA GeForce 8400 GS 1GB
Old 13th May 2012, 03:04 PM
Dan Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox

Hmmm. Some clarification needed here.

tk is making the decisions as far as the advertising is concerned, which seems reasonable in that he's the one who has been paying the bills for quite a long time now.

The bottom line is, keeping this critter afloat ain't cheap. Advertising helps defray some of the cost. So ... that's just the way it is until I/we/one of us win the lottery. In the meantime, if you don't want to see the ads, log in.

<....>
Old 13th May 2012, 03:23 PM
smr54 Offline

linuxopera

Glenn, I meant the second one--that is, if you're not logged in, and have adblock on, at one point at least, Leigh had set it so that you couldn't search? View at all? I really don't remember.

In this case, I was checking something and a search led me to the forum. On this, pretty new machine, I hadn't yet told the forum to remember me.

I have no real problem with the whole ads thing--though, were I a casual user, I'd feel aggravated, but I suspect that the forums can handle that. It was the fact that the ads are showing up in the posts, rather than at the top. I've never seen that anywhere else--which doesn't, of course, mean that it doesn't exist, just that I've never seen it.

That's why I thought, as most of we folks who are here a lot don't see it, (as we log in), that it might be some error, rather than design--hrrm, tortured syntax this morning. Meaning, that I understand that if you're not logged in, you see ads. However, in most places, they don't appear right in the posts themselves, they appear at the top, bottom or side of the page. So, I thought it might be a configuration error.
Old 13th May 2012, 03:39 PM
glennzo Online
Un-Retired Administrator

linuxfirefox

Try LinuxQuestions or LinuxForums. One or the other, or maybe both, is brutal with regard to ads if you're not logged in and don't have adblock on.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Laptop: Toshiba Satellite / Intel Core 2 Duo 1.73 GHz / 2GB / 160GB / Intel Mobile 945GM/GMS/GME/943/940GML Integrated Graphics
Desktop: BioStar MCP6PB M2+ / AMD Phenom 9750 Quad Core / 4GB / 1TB SATA / 500GB SATA / EVGA GeForce 8400 GS 1GB
Old 13th May 2012, 04:54 PM
smr54 Offline

linuxchrome

Ah yeah, Linuxforums I think. I remember I wrote a few things for them years ago. (Got paid too!)

Just checked both, and linuxforums had a bit picture ad in one of the posts in a thread---linuxquestions didn't, but kept the ads out of the actual posts.

Grr--I see that Debian's chromium, like Fedora's does automatic double posting. Annoying. Ah well, firstworld problems as I can change browsers.

Last edited by smr54; 13th May 2012 at 04:58 PM.
Old 13th May 2012, 05:05 PM
AndrewSerk Offline

linuxfirefox

Yup, I noticed there are now two adds per page where in the past there was just one in the first post, but now one in first post and one in second post.
Everything is getting expensive!
Old 13th May 2012, 05:31 PM
RupertPupkin Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by smr54 View Post
if you're not logged in, and have adblock on, at one point at least, Leigh had set it so that you couldn't search? View at all?
I don't recall it ever being like that, but it's certainly not the case now. Just having Adblock Plus enabled stops the ads from appearing, and searching works even for an unregistered user.
Old 13th May 2012, 05:54 PM
bob Offline
Administrator (yeah, back again)

Location: Colton, NY; Junction of Heaven & Earth (also Routes 56 & 68).
linuxfirefox

Just so you're aware, TK is not benefiting from the ad money; that's going to a person in need. TK's generously handling the site himself. In any case, I think we can put up with the ads however he sees fit to include them.
Registered Linux User #362651

Don't use any of my solutions on working computers or near small children.