Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 14th May 2012, 05:29 AM
Drakonas Offline

linuxfirefox
[Solved] Applications Menu Empty - Gnome Shell - F16

Hey all,
I recently installed Fedora on my desktop. I got drivers and everything running beautifully. Note that I haven't used Fedora since back in 2008 with Fedora 8/9, I've been using Ubuntu due to my main laptop/desktop (lol) being rare (Sager High-end build) and information on fixing issues like kernel panics with the Fedora LiveCD is scarce for the laptop. (lol, if you can call it a "lap"top) Thankfully, Fedora now works on the laptop, but that is besides the matter. This is about my desktop.

Well, it became time to look for some themes. I installed a few, and then tried to apply them. I've understood that Gnome needs to be restarted after selecting a new window theme. (Log out/in initiates this, but I hit Alt-F2 and type r, then hit Enter)

After I tried one window theme (window theme, meaning the border of the window) and a different icon theme I already had, I restarted gnome via the usual way I described above.

After it had reset Gnome, I went to my Applications in the Activities menu, and it was completely empty. Restarting Gnome again didn't fix, nor did changing the icon, window, gtk, or Gnome Shell themes and reseting gnome. I even tried restarting the computer, and the list was still empty.

I found some people talking at a couple other topics on forums for other distros, having this issue (see here), but none for Fedora. The reason their solutions won't work is there is no gnome-applications.menu under /etc/xdg/menus, so I assume it does not usually exist for Fedora. To be sure it wasn't deleted, I tried anyways, but the list was still lonely and empty.

I'm getting slightly frustrated with this. This eMachines desktop's hardware configuration has annoyed me to the point of throwing it. It took me most of the first night to try and remember the specific config options I had to add to the grub2 config at boot to get it to actually even BOOT the LiveCD. lol. (if you must know the options are "nomodeset acpi=off vga=0x318").

I noticed someone said in that forum topic something about the configuration backup files for gnome. Would someone be able to point me to where those files are in Fedora? I may try to recover from those first.

Running Fedora 16 Stable here. No testing packages afaik, unless EasyLife installed something from the testing repo.

Thanks in advance,
Drakonas

Oh and don't worry how my eMachines runs. I put an Antec 430W, so it can handle the Nvidia 7800 GT OC inside with no problems. The new power supply and 2GB ram makes it run quite well actually.

EDIT: NVM Just tried changing the GTK and Gnome Shell theme to something other than MediterraneanNight Theme, and it fixed the problem. Lol. I don't recommend that theme for newer versions of Gnome-Shell.

Sorry, I fix my own problems often. XD

Edit 2: Just so others finding this post can't find a fix for a similar problem, I'll give you a tip.

Check to see what version of gnome shell you have (gnome-shell --version, in terminal), and make sure the theme you want to use is built for that version. There are 2 major versions of gnome-shell commonly used, 3.2 and 3.4. The themes for either version are not compatible with the other and cause bugs, like the one I had. A lot of theme authors make multiple versions of their themes for the separate gnome-shell versions, but if they only support the one you don't have, then you're out of luck unless you know how to modify the theme.

Wish you all luck.

Last edited by Drakonas; 16th June 2012 at 03:46 PM.

Tags
applications, f16, gnome, menu, shell