Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 19th May 2012, 04:45 PM
tashirosgt Offline

linuxfirefox
XFCE 4.10 won't save sessions,un-minimize apps

I found out that all savy users of XFCE in FC 16 replace XFCE 4.8 with XFCE 4.10 from a non-Fedora repository (http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=279639). I did that and my XFCE 4.10 works better than XFCE 4.8, but it still has a few problems.

Even though the option to "Automatically save session on logout" is checked in Applications Menu->Settings->Session and Startup, XFCE doesn't save my sessions.

Another problem is that every now and then a minimized application gets into a state where un-minimizing it only shows the bar on top of the application window and not the rest of the window. If I close the application and re-open it, the whole window appears. (This often happens to Thunderbird email - perhaps since it gets minimized and unminimized often.)

The link above is to a thread where I was having problems with "save session" in XFCE 4.8. It still isn't clear to me whether this is a kind of universal problem that most people have with XFCE 4.8 (a link in the thread suggests that it is) or whether I was just one of the lucky people who get that bug. Can there be some feature of my installation that would cause a problem with saving sessions in both 4.8 and 4.10?
Old 19th May 2012, 06:37 PM
nirik Offline
Community Manager

macosmidori
Re: XFCE 4.10 won't save sessions,un-minimize apps

When you say "doesn't save my sessions" what do you get?

Does it hang on logout?

When you log back is anything at all running?

You might want to file a bug on this. I'd suggest bugzilla.xfce.org.
Old 19th May 2012, 07:08 PM
tashirosgt Offline

linuxfirefox

XFCE 4.10 does not hang on logout. There is no option to save the session on the logout icon itself. The only place that I've found that option in XFCE 4.10 is in the place I indicated.

It was XFCE 4.8 (in the other thread) that hung on logout when the save session option whas checked on the logout icon.
Old 19th May 2012, 07:19 PM
nirik Offline
Community Manager

macosmidori

So, what session do you get when you login then? Nothing? A base session with no apps that were running? something else?
Old 19th May 2012, 07:38 PM
PabloTwo Offline
"Registered User" T-Shirt Winner

linuxchrome

I'm running F16 and Xfce 4.10. I never save session data on log-out, so I can't comment/confirm any problem there. As for the "title bar only" on un-minimizing minimized apps, are you by chance hitting the scroll wheel on the mouse? By default, with the mouse pointer on the title bar, the scroll wheel will "roll-up" (leaving just the title bar visible) or "roll-down" the window.
Old 20th May 2012, 02:55 AM
sidebrnz Offline

linuxfirefox

What window manager are you using? If you're using xfwm4, there are four buttons on the title bar, not three. The one on the far left, ^, rolls up the window like a window shade, leaving only the title bar, and turns into ᴠ. Clicking the button again restores the window.
Registered Linux user #470359 and permanently recovered BOFH.

Any advice in this post is worth exactly what you paid for it.
Old 20th May 2012, 03:08 AM
tashirosgt Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
what session do you get when you login then? Nothing? A base session with no apps that were running?
I get a "base session" wth no applications running. The applications that are running when I log out are typically Thunderbird email (which no previous versions of Fedora Gnome never would start automatically upon login), Firefox, Libre Office writer with two or three documents opened, and one or more terminals.

Quote:
Are you by chance hitting the scroll wheel on the mouse? By default, with the mouse pointer on the title bar, the scroll wheel will "roll-up" (leaving just the title bar visible) or "roll-down" the window.
Quote:
If you're using xfwm4, there are four buttons on the title bar, not three. The one on the far left, ^, rolls up the window like a window shade, leaving only the title bar, and turns into ᴠ. Clicking the button again restores the window.

You may have you found my problem, gentleman! I'll try un-rolling the shade next time this happens. These modern window managers - what will they think of next?

Update: The
Applications Menu->Settings_>Sessions and Startup->General->Automatically save session on logout
check box definitely does not work. However, it is possible to manually save the current session by using
Applications Menu->Settings->Sessions and Startup->Session->Save session

Update: Manually saving the session mostly works, but I find that it won't save the fact that I'm running Libre Office writer.
As an amusing contrast; FC 12 Gnome 2 would never save my session of Thunderbird, but would save my Open Office writer sessions. Now FC 16 XFCE 4.10 restores my session of Thunderbird but won't restore my Libre Office.

There are other screens under Sessions and Startup to fiddle with, but I see no automatic way to save one's session on logout.

Update: I filed a bug report on the XFCE site: https://bugzilla.xfce.org/show_bug.cgi?id=8934

Last edited by tashirosgt; 24th May 2012 at 02:19 AM.

Tags
410, apps, save, sessions, unminimize, xfce