Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 20th May 2012, 02:41 AM
gone_bush Offline

unknownkonqueror
Question Cannot boot from USB stick

This is not a Fedora question, more a question on BIOS but I hope that someone here can help me.

I can only boot my laptop and netbook from a very old USB stick. When I try to use newer sticks, I don't even get to the first Grub display.

All sticks are prepared in the same way (via livecd-iso-to-disk) and the "boot" flag is set on.

As the only USB stick that works is now around 10 years old and has been washed with the laundry a couple of times, it is time for me to ensure that I can always boot my systems in an emergency.
Old 20th May 2012, 07:37 AM
JEO Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: Cannot boot from USB stick

Install PLoP Boot Manager. It has its own code to boot from usb. It works well with the syslinux boot loader on the live images. It does not coexist well with grub 1 (tends to hang during kernel load).
Old 20th May 2012, 09:31 AM
george_toolan Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: Cannot boot from USB stick

Did you enable the usb legacy options in your bios setup?

Did you try liveusb-creator?

Tags
bios, boot, stick, usb