Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 21st May 2012, 10:35 PM
fedoranewbie Offline

linuxfirefox
Exclamation New user ! Needs a lot of help !

Hello i'm new here i came from another famous linux distro (the most popular maybe to newbies)
and i dont like it anymore its too unstable , can't play flash videos normally , everything stucks and its very heavy.
Also i tried to add some repos and the whole system crashed many apps couldn't even start.

Now i'm trying fedora maybe its more solid and without many problems.
I want to do the following
1) install the latest nvidia geforce gts 250 propriety drivers
2) i need some applications i used to install via repos where can i find more application or Repositories for Fedora ??
3) I want to install the "driver" for my usb tvtuner but it can't compile the modules cause i dont have ... the linux headers? how i can solve this problem ?
4) I have a printer Epson Aculaser M1200 fedora just adds it but it can't work ! is it possible to make it work ?
5) I want to install cpu scaling

I need your help really so please help me if you can , i'm so pissed off from my experience with the other distro that i'm willing to pay 800euros to buy a mac or buy windows 8 when they got released.
I want to try opensource applications and linux operating system cause i'm a fan of the opensource/free idea.

Old 21st May 2012, 11:21 PM
Gareth Jones Offline
Official Gnome 3 Sales Rep. (and Adminstrator)

linuxfirefox
Re: New user ! Needs a lot of help !

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedoranewbie View Post
Hello i'm new here i came from another famous linux distro (the most popular maybe to newbies)
and i dont like it anymore its too unstable , can't play flash videos normally , everything stucks and its very heavy.
A word of warning: Fedora is very much a "bleeding-edge" distro, and isn't the best choice for absolute stability. It is also very strict on official packages being completely FOSS and not being in any way legally difficult, so some drivers and codecs etc. require work to install. CentOS or Scientific Linux are Fedora-derived distros focused on "enterprise"-level stability, but are a little out-of-date compared to Fedora or that other-distro-you-didn't-mention. Or there is Mint, which is based on that-other-distro but contains a lot of the proprietary or legally-difficult software (drivers, codecs etc.) pre-installed, and with some of Canonical's silliness removed.

That said, some find Fedora to be perfect for them, so give it a try. Just remember that finding the right Linux distro is as much about taste as anything else, and you might have to try a few before you find one that suits you.

Also see the highlighted Fedora Set-Up Guides link at the top of this page to answer many of your questions, and others. These are fairly common questions after all! As you're new here I'll be kind:

Quote:
1) install the latest nvidia geforce gts 250 propriety drivers
See http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=204752 and http://rpmfusion.org/Howto/nVidia.

Quote:
2) i need some applications i used to install via repos where can i find more application or Repositories for Fedora ??
RPMFusion repos: http://rpmfusion.org/Configuration, or AutoPlus (http://www.dnmouse.org/autoten/) or easyLife (http://easylifeproject.org/) for friendly graphical interfaces for grabbing specific common programs/codecs/drivers etc. from RPMFusion and other repos. The "Add/Remove Software" application is closest to the graphical package manager in Ubuntu, and yumex is a good more technical one (more like Synaptic).

Quote:
3) I want to install the "driver" for my usb tvtuner but it can't compile the modules cause i dont have ... the linux headers? how i can solve this problem ?
The specific package you need for the Linux kernel headers is "kernel-headers", but you may need other things to install kernel modules from source. The following command will install a complete core compiling set-up, which may be a bit over-kill for just installing drivers, but will avoid having to install packages one-by-one:
Code:
sudo yum groupinstall "Development Tools"
Quote:
4) I have a printer Epson Aculaser M1200 fedora just adds it but it can't work ! is it possible to make it work ?
5) I want to install cpu scaling
I don't know about these I'm afraid. It looks like there might be a Linux driver available on Epson's website. What CPU do you have?

Quote:
i'm so pissed off from my experience with the other distro that i'm willing to pay 800euros to buy a mac or buy windows 8 when they got released.
Like I said, there are many distros, each with their own priorities. One of them will match yours, but you may need patience. One of the great things about FOSS is choice, but the cost of that is choosing.

Last edited by Gareth Jones; 21st May 2012 at 11:24 PM. Reason: Note to self: always remember to preview before posting.
Old 21st May 2012, 11:24 PM
smr54 Offline

linuxchrome

I'm not sure how much of what you want can be done with Fedora easily. There are how to guides on the forum about NVidia.
Fedora actually has fewer packages by default than the Debian based distributions. Part of this is for legal and or philosophical reasons, however you can use the rpmfusion repos. If you click the yellow link for setup guides at the top of every page, you will see the autoten script that automates a lot of stuff for you.

I believe Fedora does CPU scaling by default. (Not sure though).

For Linux headers, you probably want to do

yum install gcc gcc-c++ kernel-devel make automake

I believe that will get most of what you need. A VERY handy command if you're compiling things is

yum provides */whatever. For example, if I'm compiling something and it dies with an error like can't find libgdk_pixbuf-20.so.2 I can do

yum provides */libgdk_pixbuf-20.so.2

I have no idea about the Epson.

You might want to consider LinuxMint or Pinguy--I think both are based on Ubuntu, but they are both designed to have a lot of the stuff, such as NVidia, already working.
Old 21st May 2012, 11:32 PM
nonamedotc Offline
Community Manager

linuxfirefox

Quote:
It is possible to get Epson working with Fedora. Download appropriate drivers from here and install it to setup your printer.

Epson with Fedora in my experience has been quite good. Hope this helps.
Old 22nd May 2012, 12:46 AM
Dutchy Offline

linuxsafari

CPU scaling is done with cpupower by default (since F16 I think).
No need to install something for that.
Old 22nd May 2012, 02:22 PM
fedoranewbie Offline

linuxfirefox

To install restricted addons/codecs/flash etc what repo do you suggest ?
Old 22nd May 2012, 02:26 PM
nonamedotc Offline
Community Manager

linuxfirefox

Use rpmfusion.

Or use the fedora setup guides and automate the whole thing.
Old 22nd May 2012, 07:40 PM
fedoranewbie Offline

linuxfirefox

What problems makes me ungry !!!!!!!
1)
I have a problem installing the tv tuner (avermedia) driver
CC [M] /tmp/avm-install/installer/KernToDemod.o
In file included from /tmp/avm-install/installer/CLGDT3305.h:11:0,
from /tmp/avm-install/installer/KernToDemod.h:4,
from /tmp/avm-install/installer/KernToDemod.c:1:
/tmp/avm-install/installer/osdep_dvb_2.h:4:26: fatal error???: dvb_frontend.h:no such file or directory
compilation terminated.
make[3]: *** [/tmp/avm-install/installer/KernToDemod.o] Error 1
make[2]: *** [_module_/tmp/avm-install/installer] Error 2
make[1]: *** [sub-make] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/kernels/3.3.5-2.fc16.x86_64'
make: *** [default] Error 2

Install log generated on /root/driver_install_log.txt

------------
On ubuntu i can install the driver on fedora no ! (and yes i have installed any package needed dont bother)

2)

I see flash videos all BLUE (For example i see youtube videos with blue faces)
When i try to fix that passing some parameters flash becomes completely unstable !!

Guys i don't have so much patient.
My printer don't work my tv tuner dont work , flash video is blue , no professional applications .......
....its not my cup of tee.
I think macosx is the alternative to windows i'm looknig for.

Last edited by fedoranewbie; 22nd May 2012 at 07:48 PM.
Old 22nd May 2012, 08:41 PM
sillav Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
I think you're probably right.
Old 22nd May 2012, 09:21 PM
marko Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
I see flash videos all BLUE (For example i see youtube videos with blue faces)
When i try to fix that passing some parameters flash becomes completely unstable !!
Do you mean setting the "hardware acceleration" to off ?
Old 23rd May 2012, 12:59 AM
Penguinclaw Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
What problems makes me ungry !!!!!!!
1)Guys i don't have so much patient.
My printer don't work my tv tuner dont work , flash video is blue , no professional applications .......
....its not my cup of tee.
As mentioned above Fedora has a policy of only providing free open source software. You can install proprietry software via such repos as rpmfusion and I think links above should help. BUT remember Fedora is bleeding edge so if you are not willing to occassionly sort out issues perhaps by "mining" the forum or being patient as other users provide their knowledge and assistance then maybe another distro would be more suitable.

What purpose do you use you Linux pc... ie business, main pc or for tinkering? Take a look at distrowatch the site is easily Googled and provides a wealth of info on most of the distros.

If you like rpm based distros consider the greater stability of openSUSE or Mageia (Mageia 2 just released!). If you prefer deb then Linuxmint is another great distro. Also take a look at a kde based distro Kubuntu which has now split off from Cannonical so should be an interesting distro to watch.

I think you should save yourself the money of buying a mac... If your current hardware is uncompatible with Linux maybe do some research and change that! It will probably save you money and you will not be supporting the most closed source company (IMHO) on the planet

Either way good luck with everything and hopefully you'll be back with us soon if you decide to call it a day.
Old 23rd May 2012, 01:12 AM
sea Online
"Shells" (of a sub world)

linuxchrome

siiga siiga (guess its written wrong anyway)

If you want some readings about basics and hints: Go here
There's also a great Guides & Solution thread: just here
Which contains the how to nvidia drivers: http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=204752

RPM's you'll find on:
rpm.livna.org
rpmfusion.org
rpmfind.net

Which should get you started too.
Hope this helps

EDIT:
Oh should have reloaded the page first... there were answers in maintime

Tags
driver, lot, newbie, noob, nvidia, repositories, user