Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 29th May 2012, 08:00 AM
Gekoncze Offline

linuxubuntufirefox
F16 suddenly won't boot

Hi,
I have a weird problem with fedora. It just suddenly stopped working.
Yesterday, I turned it off just the same way as other days and I can't remember installing any new packages, but today it won't boot up - it didn't get to the part "starting display manager" and fedora logo didnt get filled. So the first thing I tried was booting with older kernel, which didn't work so I choosed the oldest one and it loaded (a bit slowly, it sometimes happen randomly) so I did software update "sudo yum update". It installed new kernel and other packages (some network manager, libreoffice...), there was some problem with virtualbox and its dependences, so I skiped it. The new kernel didn't work, and the one which worked also stopped working. But this time it is differend. The fedora logo got filed, but it automatically jumpes into the log. There is everything allright, it got past the "starting display manager" and ended at starting sendmail or something like that. Everything runs with "OK" status.
I can get to command prompt - I tried reinstalling kernel, gnome-shell, bash, gdm, gtk3 just in case if they were broken, but it didnt help. I also removed the virtualbox (which had broken dependences) and other akmods, but it didnt help.
I don't use ATI graphics drivers, bc they doesn't work.
I can succesfully boot into my second "emergency" distro (ubuntu), so there must be something wrong with fedora...
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4500 Series
Old 29th May 2012, 12:35 PM
Giraffro Offline

linuxchrome
Re: F16 suddenly won't boot

I've had the same problem and had to rollback the updates. Here's a guide to save someone like me an hour or so:

1) When you reach the grub screen, press 'e'. Find 'quiet' and replace it with 'quiet 3'. This will boot into the command line interface for just this session.
2) Login and run the command 'sudo yum history rollback last-1'. This will rollback the previous update. If there are dependency problems, try adding '--skip-broken' to the end. If, in your case Gekoncze, you updated again, you may need to remove the last 2, 3, 4... updates, in which case use 'last-2', 'last-3', 'last-4'... respectively.
3) After the rollback, run 'reboot'.

After I rolled back, I tried updating my system (using both packagekit and yum) and the same thing happened again. Through the process of elimination, I've narrowed it down to these VirtualBox packages:

VirtualBox-4.1.14-6.fc16 (64-bit)
akmod-VirtualBox-4.1.16-1.fc16.1 (64-bit)
kmod-VirtualBox-3.3.7-1.fc16.x86_64-4.1.16-1.fc16.1 (64-bit)

Hope this helps!
Old 29th May 2012, 07:52 PM
Gekoncze Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: F16 suddenly won't boot

Thanks for your help. It look like it was Virtualbox causing it because after removing the 3 packages, it works again. I will just try update (without virtualbox of course) and if it reboots normally, I'll mark this as solved.
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4500 Series

Tags
boot, f16, suddenly