Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 29th May 2012, 08:34 AM
roger Offline

windows_xp_2003ie
Lost my LVM using Preupgrade from F16 to F17

Hi,

I did yesterday a preupgrade, which did not went to good. I did get no Kernel for F17, the cleanup broke after the installation and so on.

So, i got rebooted into F16 doing a package-cleanup --cleandupes, which cleaned first my system. Afterwards, i erased the Fedora-Release-Info for F16 and i got tons of updates including the new kernel.

When rebooting then (strange, it seems still to use the old Grub from F16, could this be an issue?) i drop into a rescue-shell from dracut, telling me, that F17 does not find my F17 LVM-Partitions.

Could it be, that they just are not actived? I found no real help in bugzilla. Any help is very very appreciated

TIA
Roger
Old 29th May 2012, 08:41 PM
AdamW Offline
Fedora QA Community Monkey

linuxfirefox
Re: Lost my LVM using Preupgrade from F16 to F17

"Afterwards, i erased the Fedora-Release-Info for F16 and i got tons of updates"

Um...what do you mean by this? Do you actually know what preupgrade is and how to use it?
http://www.happyassassin.net
Old 29th May 2012, 08:47 PM
roger Offline

linuxfirefox

Hi Adam,

I think so. At the end, there should be a cleanup from the old packages. Unfortunately, my box broke there, so i just restarted the upgrade. Unfortunately, the cleanup hasnt been done, so i had tons of dupes from fedora 16, which i had to wipe. Having the fedora-release-notes for f16 and f17 was - in my thought - the reason, why yum tried to update all the packages (f16 and f17). In fact, this time preupgrade left my system in a mess...

I just continued googling btw. and found an existing bug, where lvm has not been activated. so i "lvm vgchange -ay" on each boot, then it works.

IMHO, it cant be, that i have to do this on each boot. Also, there are a few error-messages about udevd missing some rules.

Roger

EDIT: the yum update has been done after the preupgrade
Old 29th May 2012, 10:31 PM
bob Offline
Administrator (yeah, back again)

Location: Colton, NY; Junction of Heaven & Earth (also Routes 56 & 68).
linuxfirefox

moved to Installation.
Registered Linux User #362651

Don't use any of my solutions on working computers or near small children.
Old 30th May 2012, 03:18 PM
roger Offline

windows_xp_2003ie

Fixed!

lvm vgscan showed it up correctly, lvm vgchange -ay activated correctly - until next reboot. Seems to be an issue with my broken installation

had to 'dracut --force --add convertfs' in shell, then it worked.

Tags
f16, f17, lost, lvm, preupgrade