Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 29th May 2012, 09:59 PM
gr0undzer0 Offline

linuxchrome
Grub2 video issue after upgrade

I upgraded F16 to F17 using Preupgrade. I had absolutely no issue with the upgrade and the system boots. The problem is that when I should be seeing the boot loader I am now seeing "signal out of range" . The problem persists until the timer runs out and the default Kernel is picked.

I tried changing the resolution manually in grub.cfg
I also tried changing it in the grub.d folder under 00_Header

Either way the grub2 boot loader will not appear. I'd rather like to be able to see it. This was never a problem before the upgrade.

Any ideas? I saw a similar issue / thread but it was unresolved and I think it was released before f17 went gold.
Old 30th May 2012, 01:27 PM
rwright Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: Grub2 video issue after upgrade

See this post

[ DBelton Online

linuxfirefox
Re: Missing Grub Splash in F17
quick fix?

edit (as root user) /boot/grub2/grub.cfg and scroll down until you find this section:
Code:

if loadfont $font ; then
set gfxmode=auto
load_video
insmod gfxterm
set locale_dir=$prefix/locale
set lang=en_US
insmod gettext
fi
terminal_output gfxterm

Change the set gfxmode=auto line to set gfxmode=1280x1024

What happens is that it tries to set a video mode that the video card doesn't support. Anything higher than 1280x1024 is supported only if the hardware manufacturer decided to include it. The VESA standard only supports video modes up to 1280x1024.

If that fixes your issue, then you need to change /etc/default/grub so that it will set it properly if you ever run grub2-mkconfig ]

under general support in this forum, hope that it helps, it did for me.
Old 30th May 2012, 03:20 PM
gr0undzer0 Offline

linuxchrome

Ok I figured this out last night and want to thank all who posted responses. Editing the /etc/default/grub works but I assumed that it just wanted whatever resolution my monitor could handle. This was an incorrect assumption. When editing with the line

GRUB_GFXMODE=640x480

You have to make sure the resolution is supported by the monitor and the card. 1920x1080 is not supported here at least in my case. I should have tried alternate resolutions first.

Thanks for your help rwright

---------- Post added at 02:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:19 PM ----------

Ok I figured this out last night and want to thank all who posted responses. Editing the /etc/default/grub works but I assumed that it just wanted whatever resolution my monitor could handle. This was an incorrect assumption. When editing with the line

GRUB_GFXMODE=640x480

You have to make sure the resolution is supported by the monitor and the card. 1920x1080 is not supported here at least in my case. I should have tried alternate resolutions first.

Thanks for your help rwright
Old 31st May 2012, 10:05 AM
lmgutie Offline

linuxfirefox

After adding GRUB_GFXMODE=640x480 to /etc/default/grub, you need to run:
grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg
This will also be run automatically next time yum adds a new kernel and /boot/grub2/grub.cfg is automatically updated

Tags
grub2, upgrade, video