Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 31st May 2012, 10:52 AM
bsimpson888 Offline

windows_7firefox
F17 ARM BeagleBone Kernel

Hello together,
I am facing following problem. I own a BeagleBone ARM board wich is delivered with an Angström Linux Distribution and it is my first ARM device I ever had. So I got no expirience with ARM at all. After searching the net, I was able to create a sdcard with an Fedora 14 on it which works as I can tell with an Debian Kernel from Wheezy. Unfortunatly it is missing the possibility to change the PIN behavior for being able to use UART1-5 since it is missing the /sys/kernel/debug/omap_mux things.

That was the short story what I did so far, and now we get to what I try to accomplish.

That are actually two things. Since Fedora 17 is out now and I saw that ARM is being supported much more than before ( I guess it has to do with the Raspberry PI release) I try to get this running on my BeagleBone.
There are some precompiled images available for different ARM Hardware on the official fedora site. Unfortunatly there is just one for the BeagleBoardXM not for the BeagleBone, which is slightly different. After some reading about u-boot and after understanding what needs to be done I managed to get a sdcard image up to the point where the kernel is about to be started. But it will not generate any output, since the Kernel is using /dev/ttyO2 as output ( which is right for BeagleBoardXM ) instead of /dev/ttyO0 ( Needed for BeagleBone ) . The other thing is the kernel needs to have this CONFIG_OMAP_MUX_DEBUG flag to be enabled so that the possibility of PIN muxxing is given for enabling the UART1-5.

I was wondering if there is someone out there who is also trying to get Fedora 17 working on a BeagleBone and/or if there is someone who can tell me how to cross compile such a kernel which will fit my needs.

Sorry for my english mistakes, but english is not my mothertongue.

THX
Marco
Old 23rd July 2012, 04:29 PM
dobiwan Offline

windows_7firefox
Re: F17 ARM BeagleBone Kernel

Hello,

I just got a BeagleBone too. I wondering:

- if you success to install Fedora 17?

- if you are able to change Pin with FC17?

Thanks for your answere,

Tags
arm, beaglebone, f17, kernel