Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 31st May 2012, 01:36 PM
thanhwru Offline

windows_7firefox
how to install fedora 15 on intel (R) core i7-2600

dear all,

i want to ask everyone, how to install fedora 15 on intel (R) core (TM)i7-2600, CPU@3.4GHz; Speed 1.6Mhz; Core 8; total (Ram) 3.1 GiB; Free 1.4(GiB)+1.3G Cache

because when i install, it is not unstable, on the other, sometimes i installed but sometimes the display of desktop stop with the line "loading Operating System..."

thanks for all
thanhwru83@gmail.com
Old 31st May 2012, 06:20 PM
sentabi Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: how to install fedora 15 on intel (R) core i7-2600

hello, Installing Fedora 15 not recomended since F15 already out of life.

Try Fedora 16 or Fedora 17 instead.
Old 31st May 2012, 06:25 PM
george_toolan Offline

linuxfirefox

1.6 MHz is too slow for Fedora 15 ;-)

Also you might want to install a 64 bit operating system if you have 4 GiB of memory or more.
Old 31st May 2012, 06:35 PM
thanhwru Offline

windows_7firefox

@george toolan : but i try to install with 32 bit operating system, and it is not active. and i try to install other versions: fedora 10, fedora 12, (including 32+64 bit) , Red hat 9, 7 ... all is not active. Now i prepare to install fedora 16. hope is oke
Old 31st May 2012, 07:06 PM
marko Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by george_toolan View Post
1.6 MHz is too slow for Fedora 15 ;-)

Also you might want to install a 64 bit operating system if you have 4 GiB of memory or more.
His processor is not 1.6MHz, I'm not sure what the OP meant by that but the i7-2600 is plenty fast
Old 1st June 2012, 09:21 AM
thanhwru Offline

windows_7firefox

Dear all,

i have checked again the information of my desktop after i try to install opensuse12.1: total Ram 15.6 GiB; free memory of 14.1GiB (+879.3MiB Caches); Free swap of 2.0 GiB; about CPU speed 1,600.00 Mhz; Cores 8;

but i want to install fedora, can you give me an advance?

thanks all

---------- Post added at 07:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:16 AM ----------

when i recognize the capacity of hard disk, including 2 parts: 2T and 235 GB. but and i don't understand 235 GB using what to do. because when i install fedora or other version. It always mix between 2T and 235 GB although the beginning is separated.

now i installed Fedora 16, it is not good. because of "GRUB loading, please wait ... Error 17"

thanks

---------- Post added at 08:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:57 AM ----------

maybe i don't have enough the patient for this . because i am needing intermediately

---------- Post added at 08:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:03 AM ----------

other issue that when i installed opensuse, i don't understand i can't install on the whole hard disk 2 T
Old 1st June 2012, 12:58 PM
george_toolan Offline

linuxfirefox

Fedora 16 or 17 should be working. Please don't try any older versions, because the 2600k is too new.

What kind of motherboard to you have and did you install the latest efi/bios version?

A 2 TiB HDD should be working without problems. How many HDDs do you have and is this HDD connected to the first port of the Intel Chipset or another Sata host adapter?

Are you installing in UEFI/GPT mode or in BIOS/MBR compatibility mode?

To list your partitions try

Code:
fdisk -l
with any linux live cd.

Here you can find a list of grub error messages which might explain error 17: http://www.gentoo.org/doc/de/grub-error-guide.xml
Old 1st June 2012, 01:54 PM
thanhwru Offline

windows_7firefox

thanks George toolan so much, now and i check again. but i don't understand why i install opensuse that is okei, however it is not covered the whole 2T hard disk. For fedora, it can be installed the whole hard disk. I am not person who buy this computer, because of belong to my institute, so i don't open case of computer to look HDD connected to the first port of the Intel Chipset or another Sata.

this is a kind of Intel Smart Response Technology 4X+ Faster than HDD-only system

---------- Post added at 12:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:49 PM ----------

when i use fdisk -l, there is a warn that the util fdisk doesn't support GPT. Use GNU Parted
Old 1st June 2012, 02:00 PM
Gareth Jones Offline
Official Gnome 3 Sales Rep. (and Adminstrator)

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by thanhwru View Post
when i use fdisk -l, there is a warn that the util fdisk doesn't support GPT. Use GNU Parted
Use "gdisk -l" instead.
Old 1st June 2012, 02:23 PM
thanhwru Offline

windows_7firefox

thanks, but it is nothing on the screen. "if 'gdisk' is not a typo you can use command-not-found to lookup the package that contains it, like this: cnf gdisk" and i try to type cnf gdisk but also nothing. so i am thinking of issuing about the setup BIOS or not

---------- Post added at 01:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:09 PM ----------

and can i use "PCH SATA Control Mode" in BIOS under RAID (XHD)?
Old 1st June 2012, 03:14 PM
Gareth Jones Offline
Official Gnome 3 Sales Rep. (and Adminstrator)

linuxfirefox

GRUB error 17 is apparently related to partitioning. Also note that the tradition partitioning scheme (a DOS-style MBR partition table) can only see the first ~ 1.6 TiB. For larger drives you need to use the new GPT partition tables instead. Fedora does this by default on a blank drive, but other systems are mostly still stuck to MBR tables. If Fedora finds a valid MBR table (which happens if there is already, or has previously been, another OS installed), it'll use that instead and you won't be able to access the whole disk.

fdisk is the tool for MBR tables, gdisk is the tool for GPT tables.

Run:
Code:
sudo yum install gdisk
sudo gdisk -l /dev/sda
blkid /dev/sda*
These commands will output a listing of the partition table (whatever type it is), and Linux's interpretation of the partitions.
Old 1st June 2012, 04:31 PM
thanhwru Offline

windows_7firefox

i understand, however, maybe i divide the capacity of hard disk for taking easier to use. but when i install fedora 16, and i see partition of hard disk, that is GPT partition, but when i start the computer, it doesn't access to display and there is an error "Error is an inactive partition"

---------- Post added at 02:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:36 PM ----------

i have just divided into 2 hard disk from 2TiB: 1,5 TiB and ~ 400 GiB. so now my computer has 3 hard disk partitions: 1.5 TiB, ~ 400GiB and ~300GiB

---------- Post added at 03:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:52 PM ----------

i have just tested and recognize the hard disk ~300 GiB active as a hard disk separate, and i must divide into primate disk and logical disk. But when i setup fedora 16, the computer only appear 2 options for me with 2 hard disk like the beginning

---------- Post added at 03:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:00 PM ----------

although, other hard disks i have formatted under ntfs

---------- Post added at 03:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:01 PM ----------

i dont understand

---------- Post added at 03:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:03 PM ----------

i have just installed fedora on hard disk ~300GiB, it is okei, but i don't see any other hard disk,

---------- Post added at 03:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:29 PM ----------

it means, i don't mount to hard disk 2TiB
Old 4th June 2012, 01:57 PM
thanhwru Offline

linuxfirefox

Dear all,

this issue is solved by using fedora 17, but when i use it, i have other trouble about installing intel compiler, with error:

Missing optional pre-requisites
-- unsupported OS

thanks all

---------- Post added at 12:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:55 PM ----------

thanks from the advances of "george_toolan "
Old 4th June 2012, 08:43 PM
marko Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by thanhwru View Post
Dear all,

this issue is solved by using fedora 17, but when i use it, i have other trouble about installing intel compiler, with error:

Missing optional pre-requisites
-- unsupported OS

thanks all
Did you thoroughly look at this URL?:

http://software.intel.com/en-us/arti...-under-fedora/

for one thing, the intel compiler needs you to have GCC installed beforehand plus various other requirements also listed on the URL.
I think you have GCC fine because the warning message is only about the "unsupported os".
Also that page at intel.com doesn't mention supporting Fedora 17 (it stops at version 15), maybe it doesn't work on F17

OK, I just saw your post #8 here:
http://software.intel.com/en-us/foru...05663&o=a&s=lr

Try selecting option "1" during the install :
Quote:
1. Skip missing optional pre-requisites [default]
to accept that the OS is unsupported and see if the install continues, did you try that?

Last edited by marko; 4th June 2012 at 09:02 PM.
Old 4th June 2012, 09:15 PM
thanhwru Offline

windows_7firefox

thanks Marko,

before i installed intel compiler, i installed GCC via command lines:
yum install gcc
yum install gcc-g++

but the error is the same and then i chose 1, that means skip missing... Finally, it is oke,

but from my point of view, i think that this is not an optimization solve for this.

maybe tomorrow i try to run a program to test this issue.

if you have another solve, can you tell, please?
thanks a lot

---------- Post added at 08:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:10 PM ----------

Dear all,
from your opinion, if i installed intel compiler that is successful with using option of 1. Skip missing optional pre-requisites [default]. whether can i use it to compile a program or not?

thanks

Tags
core, fedora, install, intel