Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Community Lounge > Reviews, Rants & Things That Make You Scream
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Reviews, Rants & Things That Make You Scream The place for you to submit reviews of all those applications you use with Fedora. The Devs probably aren't listening, but some times you've just GOT to blow off steam or sing its praises.

Old 9th June 2012, 07:16 PM
MALsPa Offline

linuxchrome
Re: Does XFCE really work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tashirosgt View Post
Does XFCE really work?

By that I mean are the people who say they have switched to XFCE really using XFCE exclusively? Are they doing normal things with their computers? - no mental health issues or anything like that?
I haven't tried the Fedora Xfce spins. In Debian Stable, I prefer using Xfce instead of GNOME or KDE. In Fedora, GNOME and KDE are much more up-to-date, so I go back and forth between those two in Fedora.

I really like Xfce, and often wonder why folks who have an attachment to GNOME 2 don't simply switch to Xfce these days, instead of going with MATE or Cinnamon or whatever. But I always add a few non-native apps to Xfce -- in particular, Dolphin; but I use that in GNOME as well.

Some folks do say that I have mental health issues, though.
Old 17th June 2012, 02:18 AM
alxxG Offline

windows_7chrome

I've been using the fedora xfce spin since fedora 14 on multiple machines and vm's.
Everything from pentium 4's to core 2 duos and xeons.

Use it as my main linux (also have to use red hat 6 for work along with windows 7 and win 8).
its probably 40% of my computing time, with 30% on windows 7/8 ,20% ios, 5% redhat, and 5% mac

Lot of use on embedded systems development including open embedded angstrom and the gumstix version of open embedded for work, for cross development for arm micro controllers.
Multiple python projects and also use it for xilinx fpga development with xilinx ise 13 and 14
though I do prefer to use the HPC cluster at work for "compiling" xilinx projects
(the dual quad cores with 96GB ram are nice and snappy)

Using xfce with a wacom tablet for some drawing and for chinese characters(practise).

Do you get lock ups/freezing with the live cd direct from fedora ?
http://spins.fedoraproject.org/xfce/#downloads

Sure it isn't a problem with your pc ? or lack of cooling ?
Old 17th June 2012, 03:34 AM
tashirosgt Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by alxxG;1585662
Do you get lock ups/freezing with the live cd direct from fedora ?
[url
http://spins.fedoraproject.org/xfce/#downloads[/url]

Sure it isn't a problem with your pc ? or lack of cooling ?
I get lock-ups with the installations made from the Fedora 17 xfce spin (even after doing updates). I've experience this on 4 different sets of computers, each with different hardware, which include both Nvidia and ATI video chips. The lock-ups have varied behavior. The most common one is that a certain window (like Firefox or the File Manager) will let me use the mouse inside it, but the clicking the mouse on the top bar of the window or on any other area of any other window or the desktop has no effect. I can get a console with Ctrl-Alt-F2.

Using Xfce 4.10 from the unofficial repository posted on this forum doesn't lock-up. However, it won't save sessions of LibreOffice writer. Neither 4.8 or 4.10 will reliably obey the setting to save the users session on logout - even counting only the applications whose sessions they are capable of saving.

I posted repeating errors that I see in .~/xsession-errors in a previous post in this thread. I see these repeating errors on all 4 machines when there is a typical lock-up. From reading the web, I think that these errors are not from the Xfce code itself and I think they are not necessarily "critical" errors in all situations. But something is happening with Xfce that makes them repeat over and over again. Maybe they happen when I try to use the mouse outside the window where Xfce is holding me captive.
Old 17th June 2012, 03:52 AM
alxxG Offline

windows_7chrome

What other packages did you install on all the machines ?

Any commercial packages ?

Or use any non standard repositories ?

Or any thing that looks for a particular driver or kernel module ?

Not using a tv tuner dongle or loading your own kernel modules ?
(caused enough crashes myself due to doing some dumb things in modules )

Have you got the lsb package installed ? redhat-lsb
(need it for chrome)

Its not incompatible versions of glib ?
Or something looking for an earlier version ?

Do you the development tools pack installed ?
yum groupinstall “Development Tools”

Had similar errors with fedora when using vm's especially virtual box and I forgot to install the tools/vbox drivers into the vm

Last edited by alxxG; 17th June 2012 at 03:58 AM.
Old 17th June 2012, 04:35 AM
tashirosgt Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by alxxG View Post
What other packages did you install on all the machines ?

Any commercial packages ?

Or use any non standard repositories ?

Or any thing that looks for a particular driver or kernel module ?
The machines have what is installed by the FC 17 64 bit Xfce spin, a "yum install ruby" and a "yum update". Besides that they have nothing else installed. This isn't because I don't want to install anything else. It's because when I do a preliminary test, I get these lock-up problems, so I don't want to waste time installing more software on something that is defective.

Quote:
Not using a tv tuner dongle or loading your own kernel modules ?
(caused enough crashes myself due to doing some dumb things in modules
I'm not using a tv tuner dongle or loading my own kernel modules.

Quote:
Have you got the lsb package installed ? redhat-lsb
(need it for chrome)
I don't have a machine with 4.8 booted at the moment. I'll check on that. Shoud I have it installed if it isn't installed by the FC 17 Xfce spin?

Quote:
Its not incompatible versions of glib ?
Incompatible with what? Each other? Are you asking if two versions are installed? I'll check on that.

Quote:
Or something looking for an earlier version ?
These were installations from scratch, not upgrades. There were no files added that were not from the installation. For example, no data from /home directories from older installations was used.

Quote:
Do you the development tools pack installed ?
yum groupinstall “Development Tools”
I didn't install it with yum. I'll have to boot a 4.8 machine to see if that group is installed. Should it be installed for Xfce 4.8 to work?

Quote:
Had similar errors with fedora when using vm's especially virtual box and I forgot to install the tools/vbox drivers into the vm
I'm not using any virtual machine software. Also, I'm not dual booting.

Common features of my machines is that they all have Gigabyte motherboards ( 3 different models) which have AMD CPUs. .

As I mentioned earlier, I do have a "work-around" for lock-up problems and that is to use FC 16 and install Xfce 4.10 from an unofficial repository. I'm keeping a couple of the machines with FC 17 Xfce 4.8 sitting around just out of curiousity and stubbornness because I want to know what causes the problem.

(I found the FC 16 64 bit Xfce spin took longer to lock-up (with Xfce 4.8) than the FC 17 version does. One way to lock-up the FC 16 version was to click the log-out icon and check the box to save session on logout and then logout.)
Old 17th June 2012, 05:02 AM
alxxG Offline

windows_7chrome

Disregard most of that if its default installs.

Running xcfe fedora 17 spin on a gigabyte system here intel not AMD though.
With nvidia but only vesa driver.

I usually install the spin, then update then install developer tools, lsb, chrome , vlc, python .
Also tend to use http://www.mjmwired.net/resources/mjm-fedora-f17.html as a setup guide - note I install chrome from google

When you install do you use the normal install or the vesa video driver (not using the spin)

Related to graphics drivers ?

Last edited by alxxG; 17th June 2012 at 05:16 AM.
Old 17th June 2012, 05:53 AM
screamin_jesus Offline

linuxchrome

I like XFCE, but it really lacks in a few areas. Switching audio output device on the fly, pulseaudio integration, and multimedia keys (xfcevolumed does NOT work properly with pulse/switching output devices). All the stuff mentioned above works out of the box in gnome and kde.
Old 17th June 2012, 12:11 PM
flyingfsck Offline

linuxfirefox

Well, XFCE and pulse audio works perfectly for me on F16, with the aid of AutoPlus from Dangermouse.

Last edited by flyingfsck; 17th June 2012 at 12:14 PM.
Old 17th June 2012, 12:45 PM
jpollard Offline

linuxfirefox

I was having problems with XFCE, but that mostly got cleared up when the sessions were deleted. Things were quite confused between gnome/kde/xfce.

Only remaining issue is that I see leftover processes running after I log out.

And the "save session on logout" is on the logout dialog.
Old 17th June 2012, 01:51 PM
screamin_jesus Offline

linuxchrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingfsck View Post
Well, XFCE and pulse audio works perfectly for me on F16, with the aid of AutoPlus from Dangermouse.
in my experience it works fine, until you try and do stuff like using a USB headset. xfce mixer cannot set the usb device as output (there is a dropdown that lists devices, but selecting a device there simply lets you change the volume/channels on it, it does not let you actually set the device to be used as output, which is a huge lack of functionality compared to gnome or kde's applets). You can use something like pavucontrol or pnmmixer to be able to set the output device, but multimediakeys will still only work on my laptop's speakers, and do nothing for my usb headset.

I haven't tried XFCE on fedora specifically, I most recently used it (xfce 4.8) on an arch install and couldn't get the above working properly even after much tweaking.

Was disappointing because I was really liking xfce aside from the above issues. Its lightweight and fairly modular. I had a really nice setup with it on my arch install using compiz and emerald, dockbarx and pcmanfm: http://threatdown.deviantart.com/#/d4iwode

Last edited by screamin_jesus; 17th June 2012 at 01:54 PM.
Old 17th June 2012, 02:53 PM
secipolla Offline

linuxfirefox

Does this help you? http://ulno.net/2011/04/16/mixer-con...ian-or-ubuntu/
Old 17th June 2012, 03:31 PM
tashirosgt Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingfsck View Post
Do you have a link to that advice from Dangermouse?

I found sound didn't work on my F16-64 Xfce spin and, as part of the suggested debugging process for sound on the Fedora Project, I 'temporarily" uninstalled pulseaudio. Then sound worked. ( I don't know if I'll ever need pulseaudio.) I've had so much trouble with the FC 17 installations that I haven't even tried hookin speakers to the those machines yet.

aixxG,

I have not tried forcing the video driver to be VESA in my FC 17 Xfce installations. It has been radeon or nouveau, depending on the hardware.
Old 17th June 2012, 04:40 PM
screamin_jesus Offline

windows_7chrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by secipolla View Post
Not if I have to do that everytime I want to use my usb headset lol
Old 18th June 2012, 03:24 AM
bendib Offline

Location: Teetering between the edge of insanity and the border of all that's weird
linuxopera

I'm as fruity as a kid's cereal factory, and I use XFCE exclusively. There is no reason in my mind why one wouldn't consider XFCE a decent DE.
Old 18th June 2012, 07:27 AM
RupertPupkin Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendib View Post
I'm as fruity as a kid's cereal factory
I don't think kid's cereals have contained any fruit since the Harding administration.