Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 3rd June 2012, 07:14 AM
Pedroski Offline

linuxfirefox
no dsl tab in Network Manager

I just reinstalled Fed 17 from dvd. I did a fresh install, because the upgrade from Fed 16 was messy and caused some problems. On install, it offered me the chance to configure the network. I entered my dsl connection username and password. However, when I rebooted, the system settings Network manager has no dsl tab, aqnd I have no internet with Fed 17.

This has happened to me with other distros.

Can anyone explain why the network manager would not have the dsl tab?? Is it possible to get it somehow??
Old 3rd June 2012, 08:54 AM
Yellowman

linuxfirefox
Re: no dsl tab in Network Manager

Did you run 'nm-connection-editor' ?
Old 3rd June 2012, 08:56 AM
george_toolan Offline

linuxfirefox

You've already asked this before and I told you where to find the dsl tab in system-config-network

As far as I know the network configuration during the installation process is just for the installation itself.

Nobody uses dsl tab anymore, because everybody has a router now ;-)

Just configure your dsl connection with username and password once inside your router and activate the Wired connection in Network Manager. Everything else is now configured automagically with DHCP.
Old 3rd June 2012, 09:37 AM
Pedroski Offline

linuxfirefox

Sorry, but how do I configure that 'inside my router'?? I really don't know.

The dsl tab is not, I repeat, not in the system config network.

For instance, I am now using a Ubuntu live CD. I go to system settings network. Then I have a nice friendly window with 4 tabs Wired, IPv4Settings, PPPSettings and, trala! DSL. There I can set username and password, and no problem. I cannot do this in Fed 17, because there is no DSL tab.

I do not know how to configure Wired to connect to my DSL. How do I do that, please??
Old 3rd June 2012, 09:48 AM
george_toolan Offline

linuxfirefox

It should be in system-config-network (not Network Manager) if you press the New button to configure a new connection.

What kind of router do you have? It has a nice web interface to configure your dsl connection and even came with a manual. You only have to do this once.
Old 3rd June 2012, 10:14 AM
Pedroski Offline

linuxubuntufirefox

You are talking about something other than System Settings > Network ??? Is that so??

Where do I find system-config-network?? Is that a command??

Sorry, but I am not a computer genius, you'd already guessed that!!
Old 3rd June 2012, 10:26 AM
Yellowman

linuxfirefox

nm-connection-editor has a dsl tab here

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot from 2012-06-03 10:23:23.png
Views:	220
Size:	22.3 KB
ID:	23173  
Old 3rd June 2012, 10:26 AM
Pedroski Offline

linuxfirefox

Well, thanks to you both. I ran nm-connection-editor (I will never forget that in future) It has a nice window, and a friendly dsl tab, so I'm go!!

Thanks, and sorry to trouble you on a Sunday afternoon!!
Old 3rd June 2012, 02:42 PM
secipolla Offline

linuxfirefox

Pedroski, where are you from?
Here where I live the Internet connection is also DSL (PPPOE in bridge mode), but you can put your username and password on the modem and set it to be in router mode. Then it will automatically connect and you don't need to configure the network on the OS.

For that you have to look at the brand/model of the modem the ISP provided you with and search on the net how to put it in router mode.
Old 4th June 2012, 01:03 PM
Pedroski Offline

linuxfirefox

I am in Nanjing, China. The router is a ZTE dsl router, with 4 sockets for LAN and one for iTV.
No idea how to put my user name and password into it. Also, if I access it, using the admin password on its back, the webpage is in Chinese. I can only understand a little Chinese at the moment, so that is not so good
Old 4th June 2012, 10:00 PM
secipolla Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedroski View Post
Also, if I access it, using the admin password on its back, the webpage is in Chinese. I can only understand a little Chinese at the moment, so that is not so good
That's the hard part.
As for how to do it, if you understood Chinese well enough, you would have to search the net the instructions for your Internet provider.
*BTW, mine is a ZTE too, but a very simple one (just one Ethernet output).

Tags
dsl, manager, network, tab