Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 11th June 2012, 03:38 PM
AIM Systems Offline

linuxubuntufirefox
Unhappy how to dhcp laptops with multiple MAC addresses

I support a bunch of road warriors how either plug into our network or connect wirelessly as convenient.
My question: how do I distribute the same IP address to the same laptop regardless if they are wireless or wired ?

80% of them will leave their laptops in the office overnight so I can complete a backup of their data but its hard to do if my dhcp server (Fedora) hands them a different IP address all the time and/or they are misnamed in /etc/hosts
Old 11th June 2012, 06:33 PM
droidhacker Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: how to dhcp laptops with multiple MAC addresses

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIM Systems View Post
I support a bunch of road warriors how either plug into our network or connect wirelessly as convenient.
My question: how do I distribute the same IP address to the same laptop regardless if they are wireless or wired ?

80% of them will leave their laptops in the office overnight so I can complete a backup of their data but its hard to do if my dhcp server (Fedora) hands them a different IP address all the time and/or they are misnamed in /etc/hosts
Not a smart idea. What happens if they connect BOTH wired AND wireless? Then you've got a problem...

It would be better to keep track of both addresses and check both in your backup routine. I suggest trying to connect to the wired interface first, then if that fails, connect to the wireless interface.

Tags
addresses, dhcp, laptops, mac, multiple