Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 13th June 2012, 03:53 AM
admiralmccheese Offline

linuxfirefox
Reinstall to restore original video drivers

Hello, I foolishly attempted to install the fglrx driver and didn't know it would bork everything (it did). After reading the sticky in the hardware forum about how the binary drivers will bork everything (wish I had seen that before) I have come to the conclusion that I am hosed and will have to reinstall.

However when I installed Fedora I put the various mount points on their own partitions. So since I'm about to reinstall, I'm wondering if anyone can tell me which partitions I must reformat and reinstall to correct the video driver issue, and which I may keep in order to preserve my data and save me from the hassle of reconfiguring everything?

Thanks
Old 13th June 2012, 04:00 AM
JamesNZ Offline

windows_vistachrome
Re: Reinstall to restore original video drivers

Before you reinstall, run this as root:
Code:
yum reinstall mesa-libGL
That's the driver that the binarys 'bork', so if you repair it you may not need to reinstall.

P.S Did you install the drivers from the rpmfusion repos?

EDIT: Forgot to mention you will need to remove the binaries before you reinstall mesa:
Code:
yum erase *catalyst*

- Jesus

Last edited by JamesNZ; 13th June 2012 at 04:03 AM.
Old 13th June 2012, 04:31 AM
admiralmccheese Offline

linuxfirefox

Hi James, thanks for replying.

I did in fact attempt to reinstall that driver. Before I gave up fixing the problem, I posted in some detail elsewhere on these forums (read below the dotted line). I then noticed the sticky at the top of that section explaining that the binary drivers can mess things up pretty bad so that's what made me decide to give up and reinstall.

edit: and I have just realized my sound is now nonexistent..

Last edited by admiralmccheese; 13th June 2012 at 04:34 AM.
Old 13th June 2012, 10:04 AM
Yora0 Offline

linuxfirefox

With how easy it is to install Fedora 17, I just threw everything out and made a new installation yesterday.
If you have your own files stored away, you can just delete the partitions and start all over.

But to know which partitions that would affect, we would need to know what partitions you currently have.
Old 13th June 2012, 12:53 PM
george_toolan Offline

linuxfirefox

Which driver did you try to install?

AFAIK the Catalyst 12.6 beta drivers should be working with Fedora 17.
Old 13th June 2012, 05:10 PM
admiralmccheese Offline

linuxfirefox

@Yora0:
My partitions are as follows: /, /boot, /home, /var, /opt, /tmp

@george:
I tried the 12.6 beta, but I got an installation error and then no desktop boot. I then removed it by running the uninstall script. I then tried to install the version from the rpmfusion repos but that didn't work either. From there I was pretty much just running around in circles trying to restore the default xorg configuration, but I had no luck.

So I'm going to reinstall today, I was just hoping maybe there was a shortcut to the reinstallation process so I wouldn't have to do all the new-system configuration stuff (I thought I read that's one reason why one ought to install the mount points on dedicated partitions). But it looks like that's not happening either. Alas. I'm too dumb for linux, too broke for windows and too ugly for apple. Can gameboys do email yet?

Last edited by admiralmccheese; 13th June 2012 at 05:19 PM.
Old 13th June 2012, 08:07 PM
droidhacker Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by admiralmccheese View Post
@Yora0:
My partitions are as follows: /, /boot, /home, /var, /opt, /tmp

@george:
I tried the 12.6 beta, but I got an installation error and then no desktop boot. I then removed it by running the uninstall script. I then tried to install the version from the rpmfusion repos but that didn't work either. From there I was pretty much just running around in circles trying to restore the default xorg configuration, but I had no luck.

So I'm going to reinstall today, I was just hoping maybe there was a shortcut to the reinstallation process so I wouldn't have to do all the new-system configuration stuff (I thought I read that's one reason why one ought to install the mount points on dedicated partitions). But it looks like that's not happening either. Alas. I'm too dumb for linux, too broke for windows and too ugly for apple. Can gameboys do email yet?
Well, clearly steve balmer is to blame for your problem. You've gotten used to how retarded hardware setup is in wondoze, so you're bringing that very bad experience with you over to Linux. In fact, if you would dummify yourself a little and ERASE all those bad wondoze experiences, Linux will work a lot better for you.

Put in install disk,
Turn on computer and boot from install disk,
Follow instructions to install.

THAT'S IT. Your drivers are all installed and ready to use. No sense in installing the inferior hacked wondoze driver over the superior Radeon driver that is already installed....
Old 14th June 2012, 01:01 AM
admiralmccheese Offline

windows_7firefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by droidhacker View Post
Well, clearly steve balmer is to blame for your problem. You've gotten used to how retarded hardware setup is in wondoze, so you're bringing that very bad experience with you over to Linux. In fact, if you would dummify yourself a little and ERASE all those bad wondoze experiences, Linux will work a lot better for you.

Put in install disk,
Turn on computer and boot from install disk,
Follow instructions to install.

THAT'S IT. Your drivers are all installed and ready to use. No sense in installing the inferior hacked wondoze driver over the superior Radeon driver that is already installed....
Actually what started this was trying to play a game (I know...) using PlayOnLinux which complained about lack of 32 bit libraries. That started me blundering down a path of misadventure, but I was otherwise quite satisfied with the default video driver, so my problem is entirely of my own making, I was just asking about the best way to clean it up.

I am aware that a complete reinstallation will restore the original drivers, which I agree are most excellent. It will also force me to back up my data and redo all my customizations. I was hoping to find out if I could use the advanced partition settings in the installer to just reinstall some of the mount points, while leaving others alone, to minimize the work involved in remaking my existing system.

However due to whatever I have done wrong, my system slowly deteriorated during the time of this thread, in often amusing ways, and since I couldn't get an answer about which partitions must be reinstalled to replace the drivers (and which I could keep) I went ahead and backed up all my data and resigned myself to redoing all my customizations... in openSUSE. So I'll go ahead and mark this one [SOLVED]

Regards

Tags
drivers, original, reinstall, restore, video