Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 18th June 2012, 03:27 AM
RhombiKiet Offline

linuxfirefox
Bitcoin client installation help

Hello, I'm trying to install a Bitcoin client. Which just seems to be impossible with Fedora 17. HALP PLOX!!!1 (I will put @s around terminal lines to reduce confusion)

So trying to install Electrum, typically done with this command:

@ sudo pip install http://ecdsa.org/electrum/Electrum-0...4b93917860069b @

which results in:

@ [your admin account with root access] is not in the sudoers file. This incident will be reported. @

So Ok. Looks Like I'm not installing Electrum. Better try Bitcoin(thats the name of the bitcoin client itself) So I download bitcoin-0.6.2-linux.tar.gz, and open with archive manager. Then I extract that folder to Files>Computer>home>desktop. So then I go to the file location, and the README says...

You need the Qt4 run-time libraries to run bitcoin-qt. On Debian or Ubuntu:
sudo apt-get install libqtgui4

Unpack the files into a directory and run:
bin/32/bitcoin-qt (GUI, 32-bit)
bin/32/bitcoind (headless, 32-bit)
bin/64/bitcoin-qt (GUI, 64-bit)
bin/64/bitcoind (headless, 64-bit)

"Ubuntu or Debian"? Alright, well that's not happening. Maybe we'll try the file route instead. I open up the BIN folder, which has 32 and 64 bit versions of 2 files: bitcoind and bitcoin-qt, the icons for these files is a purple diamond with gears, whatever file type that is(I'm obviously new to Linux). So I click on all these files, but nothing happens, other than "___ was selected, ___MB".

Also, my GUI is gnome is that is relevant. INFINITE APPRECTIATION for whoever helps me.
Old 18th June 2012, 04:03 PM
george_toolan Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: Bitcoin client installation help

Have you tried to double-click on bitcoin-qt (32 bit or 64 bit version depending on your operating system)?

You might have to intall some Qt4 libraries first. If this doesn't work try to open a terminal and post the error message
Code:
~/Desktop/bin/32/bitcoin-qt

~/Desktop/bin/64/bitcoin-qt
or whereever you put the files.
Old 18th June 2012, 11:26 PM
Dutchy Offline

linuxsafari

Apart from qt you might also want to add your account to the sudoers group (I hope you remember your root password) and pip probably isn't installed (never heard of a python package manager before and don't know if it is in the repos, but it probably is).
Anyway, isn't running a bitcoin client on Linux a bit insane?
You'll get the most coins out of a gpu which might not be used efficiently because of the crappy drivers (this is an assumption) and with all the computations done on the CPU will likely cost you more power than it pays off.
But then again I've only read a few things a while back about this phenomenon and never actually delved any coins.
Old 2nd August 2012, 07:23 PM
grondilu Offline

linuxfirefox

I've recently installed F17 and bitcoin v.0.6.3 worked out of the box.
Old 5th August 2012, 04:11 PM
flash3780 Offline

linuxfirefox

grondilu,
I'm also interested in bitcoin software. Do you know of a guide for installing the software?
I found a repo here (maintained by a Spaniard): http://olea.org/paquetes-rpm/repovie...o-release.html
But, 'yum install bitcoin' produces the following conflict with openssl:
Error: openssl-upstream conflicts with 1:openssl-1.0.0j-2.fc17.i686
Apparently bitcoin uses ECDSA encryption, which isn't included in the Fedora version of openssl. So, I think that I somehow need to replace the Fedora version of openssl with the full version. Thoughts?
Old 5th August 2012, 10:09 PM
styptic Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by flash3780 View Post
grondilu,
I'm also interested in bitcoin software. Do you know of a guide for installing the software?
I found a repo here (maintained by a Spaniard): http://olea.org/paquetes-rpm/repovie...o-release.html
Apparently bitcoin uses ECDSA encryption, which isn't included in the Fedora version of openssl. So, I think that I somehow need to replace the Fedora version of openssl with the full version. Thoughts?
If ECDSA is nonfree software then it is removed. Maybe openssl with ECDSA is available in rpmfusion?
Old 7th August 2012, 11:13 AM
grondilu Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by flash3780 View Post
grondilu,
I'm quite new to fedora so I don't know how important it is to install a software from a repo instead of installing from binaries published directly by the software developpers.

I tried compiling bitcoin on fedora but the resulting binary was bugged and screwed my database. Probably due to my lack of competence during compilation of openssl.

Yet the precompiled binary published on bitcoin.org worked fine, so if you don't mind running binaries you can just do that. If you fear the binary steals your bitcoins you can just save most of your bitcoins on a lightly generated address (see my bitcoin bash tools for instance to do that, google "grondilu bitcoin bash tools").

Or just ask #bitcoin on freenode. They'll be happy to help.

Last edited by grondilu; 7th August 2012 at 11:18 AM.

Tags
bitcoin, client, installation