Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 24th June 2012, 01:34 PM
Tohiko Offline

linuxfirefox
Bootloader installation problem

Greetings,

I'm trying to install a fresh Fedora 17 on an almost clean computer (i.e. with no other operating system)
I setup the partition table to mount my old home directory. I also setup the root, swap, and tmp partitions

Everything works fine until I reach the bootloader stage. Here a message shows up saying that the bootloader failed to install and the new os might not boot (and indeed it does not).
I'm installing from a flash disk that was prepared from an md5-checked iso file. I used the flash disk on other computers and it was fine.

I saw similar problem on this and other forums when installing/upgrading Fedora along side another system, but I'm doing a fresh installation. So I don't see any reason for failure.

Any help is appreciated.
Old 24th June 2012, 02:44 PM
secipolla Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: Bootloader installation problem

Isn't there any option in the BIOS that might prevent/difficult its installation?
Old 24th June 2012, 04:28 PM
Tohiko Offline

linuxfirefox

I am not sure. I don't think I changed anything since I last installed Fedora 16 successfully

This is frustrating. Especially since I don't even know why it failed or where to read the error message
Old 24th June 2012, 04:34 PM
secipolla Offline

linuxfirefox

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...95#post1587295 says that there should be a /boot partition. Do you have one?
Old 24th June 2012, 05:25 PM
srs5694 Offline

linuxfirefox

You need to post more information, and particularly:
  • Does your disk use GPT or MBR partitions? If you're uncertain, post the output of "parted /dev/sda print", when run from an emergency system.
  • What partitions are currently defined? The "parted /dev/sda print" output will show us this information.
  • Are you booting in BIOS mode or in EFI mode? If you're uncertain, boot the Fedora installer and look for a directory called /sys/firmware/efi. If it's present, you've booted in EFI mode. If it's absent, you've probably booted in BIOS mode. Note that the boot mode can vary from one medium to another, so your Fedora installer might boot in EFI mode but Parted Magic might boot in BIOS mode. You need to post information about how your Fedora installer was booted when it reported that error.
Old 25th June 2012, 08:42 AM
Tohiko Offline

linuxfirefox

UPDATE: I tried installing Fedora 16 instead and everything worked flawlessly. Still not sure what the problem with Fedora 17 was

I ran these command from the my Fedora install (from USBLive)
There was not efi file so I guess I booted from BIOS

============= parted output =============
Model: ATA ST31500341AS (scsi)
Disk /dev/sdb: 1500GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: msdos
Disk Flags:

Number Start End Size Type File system Flags
1 32.3kB 32.2GB 32.2GB primary ext4 boot
2 32.2GB 64.4GB 32.2GB primary ext4
3 64.4GB 75.2GB 10.7GB primary linux-swap(v1)
4 75.2GB 1500GB 1425GB extended
5 75.2GB 107GB 32.2GB logical ext3
6 107GB 140GB 32.2GB logical ext3
7 140GB 1500GB 1361GB logical ext3

Last edited by Tohiko; 25th June 2012 at 09:27 AM.

Tags
bootloader, installation, problem