Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 5th July 2012, 08:21 PM
notbigtony Offline

windows_7firefox
Video problems on Macbook Pro live usb

Hello, this is my first time posting on this forum. I recently made a live F17 usb with efi boot so I could use it on my early 2009 macbook pro. After finally getting it to show up in my boot menu, I started it without any additional kernel arguments and got random colored shapes and pixels all over the screen and it seems to hang. Figuring that it was an issue with the video driver, I added the nomodeset kernel argument and was able to bypass this issue and go to the loading screen. After that I got to the point where after I typed in my password to decrypt the home folder it hanged. I retried again adding "1" to the kernel arguments. With this option, it boots into a rescue mode console after I type my decryption password. I believe that the problem lies in Xorg, because when I run startx it says

"Fatal Server Error: No screens found".

Or it says that screens were found but none have usable configurations.

I think I have to select the proper video driver to use as a kernel argument before I boot, but I don't really know how to do this and I don't know which driver I should use. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Tags
live, macbook, pro, problems, usb, video