Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 12th July 2012, 06:23 AM
tech291083 Offline

linuxfirefox
Checksum for Fedora core 5 etc.

Dear Friends,

I have some old Fedora DVDs such as Fedora core 5, 6 and 12, 14 with me whose checksum I want to verify but the official Fedora site does not seem to have the checksum for Fedora core 5. Can anyone please help me?

I went to the below page, which has a link called

See old versions of Fedora

http://fedoraproject.org/en/get-fedora-all

But as I went about clicking on links one by one I got to the below page, which does not seem to have Fedora 5 on the list.

http://archive.fedoraproject.org/pub...inux/releases/

I also would like to know whether one should use only the md5sum and sha1sum commands to verify the respective checksums for a particular distro or there happen to be other types of checksums as well. I am a bit confused here. People generally say that an iso downloaded which fails to match the official checksum (I only verify it using the md5sum and sha1sum commands only as I do not know any other commands/methods) will not install or work properly on a computer.

Thanks.

All the forces in the world are not so powerful as an idea whose time has come - Victor Hugo
Old 12th July 2012, 06:27 AM
solo2101 Offline

linuxchrome
Re: Checksum for Fedora core 5 etc.

dunno if this may help, but here it is...

http://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/publiclist/Fedora/

just need to navigate through the folders a little and you will find the key
Old 12th July 2012, 01:54 PM
stoat Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech291083

See old versions of Fedora

http://fedoraproject.org/en/get-fedora-all

But as I went about clicking on links one by one I got to the below page, which does not seem to have Fedora 5 on the list.
The "See old versions of Fedora" link leads to what you want, but you went down the wrong path. The old Core stuff is in /archive/fedora/linux/core.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech291083

I also would like to know whether one should use only the md5sum and sha1sum commands to verify the respective checksums for a particular distro or there happen to be other types of checksums as well.
Use the one required for the particular hash. The oldest Fedora versions used MD5 hashes. Later on, Fedora started using SHA-1 hashes. And eventually, SHA-256 hashes.
Old 13th July 2012, 05:17 PM
tech291083 Offline

linuxiceweasel

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoat View Post
The "See old versions of Fedora" link leads to what you want, but you went down the wrong path. The old Core stuff is in /archive/fedora/linux/core.
Thanks a lot, I finally got it. I actually did go there but somehow did go past that page.

Quote:
The oldest Fedora versions used MD5 hashes. Later on, Fedora started using SHA-1 hashes. And eventually, SHA-256 hashes.
This is really good and meaningful info for me, thanks again.

All the forces in the world are not so powerful as an idea whose time has come - Victor Hugo

Tags
checksum, core, fedora